Put your boat "To bed or not to bed"

quote:Originally posted by fishinfool

I only have a small 14 footer with a 30 horse outboard and a 6 horse kicker. I have never used antifreeze in the motors during the winter time. I keep the motors in the down position when parked at home. Do I need to worry about cracking a block or do you think the motors drain themselves in the down position.

An outboard drains itself quite niceley. Just keep it in the down position, it's when it is up that ice can crack the lower unit where water accumlates in the hub, and more importantly, your impeller housing.

I pull mine out every fall. Do a lot of tinkering on it all winter as it is a older hull (79). That way in the summer I can fish without to much worry about little things breaking down. I put a new coat of anti fouling, clean up the motor etc. I do it mainly for the peace of mind it brings during the summer.

I don't lay mine up either. I have an older boat and outboard motor. I firmly believe in the old saying: "If you don't use it you lose it!" I just go out there and put the earmuffs on and start her up for a few minutes at least once every six weeks during the winter if i am not using the boat for crabbing etc. It always works for me. I don't use fuel stabilizer either, I have never had a problem doing this for the last five years. My engine always starts up perfectly. A fishing buddy of mine lays his up, drains the carb, uses fuel stabilizer, fogs the engine etc. In the spring when he comes to use it, guess what, he can't get it to start and he has a much newer engine than mine!

Hey Gallows....does your buddy put new plugs in after finishing everything else? I don't lay mine over either, I perfer to take the good days and get out on the water even if its just for a ride around the harbour doing some sight seeing.

Yeh he does put new plugs in. He seems to have problems with the carb when he tries to de-winterize it. Some sort of fuel blockage, I think it's got something to do with the fuel stabilizer he uses. I don't like that stuff and never use it. I have never had any problems with leaving fuel in the tank over the winter. I always put new plugs in once a year though.

Back