Put your boat "To bed or not to bed"

B

Brokenrod

Because I use my boat thought out the year, winter springs, crabing,& prawning in winter I dont't "winterize" my boat. I do all the things you should do maintenence wize to keep things right. I have a hard top sterndrive. I have an electric heater in the cabin and a 100 watt trouble light, silicone coated as not to blow up, in the bilge. I have the power coming of a thermostat set normally at 8-9 degrees. It keeps everything dry and warm.
Lets hear what you do, maybe we can all learn something

This is my first season keeping my boat in the water, in a covered boat house. I have a hard top stern drive also. I plan the same thing. I have a cabin heater and an engine room heater. I'll change the oil and filters and such. In the spring, I'll pull it out to service the stern drive and clean the hull.

What else do we need to do?

Dan

This is my first season keeping my boat in the water, in a covered boat house. I have a hard top stern drive also. I plan the same thing. I have a cabin heater and an engine room heater. I'll change the oil and filters and such. In the spring, I'll pull it out to service the stern drive and clean the hull.

What else do we need to do?

Dan

You may want to fog the engine, top off the fuel tank , charge the batteries, there's a check list.

You may want to fog the engine, top off the fuel tank , charge the batteries, there's a check list.

I use my boat year round, less in the winter though. I do everything but fog my engines - replace water separator, change gear lube and 4 stroke oil, keep the tank full, use fuel stabilizer and check on my batteries (I find I don't really need to top the batteries up though).

I use my boat year round, less in the winter though. I do everything but fog my engines - replace water separator, change gear lube and 4 stroke oil, keep the tank full, use fuel stabilizer and check on my batteries (I find I don't really need to top the batteries up though).

If your boat lives outside and you tarp it, make sure there is air
flow throught the boat.
With my first boat i made the mistake of zipping up the canvas
and then wrapping the whole thing in a tarp.
It stayed like that for 3 months [V]

When i went to use it in the spring, the whole interior was covered
in mildew [xx(]

If your boat lives outside and you tarp it, make sure there is air
flow throught the boat.
With my first boat i made the mistake of zipping up the canvas
and then wrapping the whole thing in a tarp.
It stayed like that for 3 months [V]

When i went to use it in the spring, the whole interior was covered
in mildew [xx(]

I use my boat year round so...
My boat lives beside my garage, with a full snap-on cover vented at the sides for natural air flow. I keep a low voltage RV/Marine element heater on at all times inside the boat to prevent moisture buildup.
I keep the I/O leg in down position to drain away the water. When the weather turns freezing, I'll run non-toxic (good for metal) antifreeze through the inlet ports & thru the engine 'til exhaust water turns pink (including the kicker). Preventing the much dreaded, and costly, cracked block etc.
With annual tune-up and leg oil changes, (knock on wood) everything should keep chuggin' along.
PinchMe :)

I use my boat year round so...
My boat lives beside my garage, with a full snap-on cover vented at the sides for natural air flow. I keep a low voltage RV/Marine element heater on at all times inside the boat to prevent moisture buildup.
I keep the I/O leg in down position to drain away the water. When the weather turns freezing, I'll run non-toxic (good for metal) antifreeze through the inlet ports & thru the engine 'til exhaust water turns pink (including the kicker). Preventing the much dreaded, and costly, cracked block etc.
With annual tune-up and leg oil changes, (knock on wood) everything should keep chuggin' along.
PinchMe :)

I think we're pulling it out to do a big clean up and some maint on it but it should be on the water all winter, its been said about Prawning and Crabbing and since Prawning means drinking, the boats gotta stay in the water <3

Klink

I think we're pulling it out to do a big clean up and some maint on it but it should be on the water all winter, its been said about Prawning and Crabbing and since Prawning means drinking, the boats gotta stay in the water <3

Klink

I only have a small 14 footer with a 30 horse outboard and a 6 horse kicker. I have never used antifreeze in the motors during the winter time. I keep the motors in the down position when parked at home. Do I need to worry about cracking a block or do you think the motors drain themselves in the down position.

Back