Puntledge and Courtenay River Coho retention

bgillard

The hatchery believes they are at 83% escapement levels on Coho and believe they will achieve their targets. They have recommended a retention fishery for Coho on the Puntledge and Courtenay Rivers starting Friday, Oct 26, 2012. The Quota will be two (2) only one of which may be over 30 cm. So 1 adult, and 1 jack. You may retain marked or unmarked fish (wild or hatchery)

Here's the notice I will be posting today:

FISHERIES AND OCEANS CANADA
PUBLIC NOTICE
Puntledge/Courtenay River Salmon Possession - 2012

Chum
Effective 0001 hrs October 19, 2012 until 2359 hrs November 30, 2012 The daily limit of chum salmon is two (2) in the Puntledge & Courtenay River downstream from a boundary marker located 75m downstream of the Puntledge River hatchery counting fence. Minimum size limit of 30 cm.

Chinook
Effective 0001 hrs October 19, 2012 the daily limit of Chinook salmon in the Punteldge & Courtenay Rivers is zero (0).

Coho
Effective 0001 hrs October 26, 2012, the daily limit of unmarked or marked (adipose fin clipped)coho salmon in the Puntledge & Courtenay Rivers is two (2) only one (1) of which may be over 30cm. Coho fishing only downstream of the white triangle boundary signs 75m below the hatchery weir.

Steelhead
There is no retention of steelhead in the Puntledge or Courtenay Rivers. Please ensure your species identification, particularly when retaining coho salmon.

Closures
The Puntledge River, between signs located 100m upstream and downstream of the confluences with Morrison Creek, and 75m downstream of the Puntledge Hatchery fence, is closed to fishing.

A reminder to anglers, single barbless hooks are required in Region 1 and you must hold a fresh water angling licence to recreational fishing in the fresh waters of British Columbia

Report all violations 24 hours per day to
1-800-465-4336

Bryce Gillard
Fishery Officer, Comox

Had an interesting experience on the river yesterday. Hooked a chum in the fast water below the Condensory, I think I snagged it in the dorsal, put lots of pressure on to try to bring it closer and suddenly the hook let go, came flying back at high speed, and the lead, which was a ball, about the size of a marble, just missed me and hit the top portion of the rod and snapped it in two. Fishing finished for the day. Could have been a lot worse, it could have hit me in the eye. Take care out there guys!!!

Great
Nice to see it open for Coho
I may have to pick up a freshwater lic. and tag this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best of luck getting a coho. The river is absolutely full of chum. I was getting one every cast. Not a single coho so far, can't keep the chum off the hook!

Was just below Condensory bridge yesterday, was quite a few people out nice to see the kids having some fun. Managed to hook into about 15 chum on lime green wool w/ sparkles only false hooked one or two. Didn't keep any. Did hook into a nice Coho, was a beauty just unfortunate the opening didn't happen til today so I released it. Was amusing how many fisherman were ready to jump in to tell that I couldn't keep it (I knew this already). As for the Chum they mostly seem pretty dark and beaten up think I saw one that was kept that looked worthy of the smoker. Ill definitely try to get out to get a coho or 2.

I Got my limit rather quickly today and released another Coho as well.

10262012139.jpg

Still fresh Chums if you know where to look, as I have been taking my 2 everyday this week.
I make peppered Indian candy with the Chums. Hopefully by tomorrow, I will have enough to fill the smoker.

smoked-salmon-indian-candy2.jpg

Well i fished the condensary yesterday and lost my fly line.
Line broke at the backing. Some of these chum are big fighters.
Couldnt amagine What a big coho or steelie would do.
i should have let the leader break rather than let a fish run that far.
Lesson learned!! Lol

Well i fished the condensary yesterday and lost my fly line.
Line broke at the backing. Some of these chum are big fighters.
Couldnt amagine What a big coho or steelie would do.
i should have let the leader break rather than let a fish run that far.
Lesson learned!! Lol

Yup-- lesson learned. When the river was first opened for chum years ago, I grabbed my 10wt with a fast sink tip on my Hardy St John reel. Well-- what a beating I took. I got my knuckles bruised up, my fingers burned from trying to control a big strong fish without the benefit of a flying rim. I limped home, put the rod back on the rack and brought out my baitcaster...... That fancy flyreel is staying on the shelf...............

Back