PST question

jayblack

Hey guys ... I live in BC and bought a boat from a dealer in Ontario. I paid the full 13% HST on the boat/motor/trailer in Ontario.

The boat was never used and was shipped out here to BC. I am curious if I am going to get dinged for PST in BC on the boat/motor/trailer again??

Thanks!

when you register with the BC # they got you my buddy bought private on registration was ask to antti up 5500.big ones

I don't think you'll have to pay again, but they may ask to see your invoice showing that you paid the tax in Ontario.

It's not like buying a boat, you are simply relocating it.
Just send a copy of the sales invoice showing the tax paid to Transport Canada
and they will send you the license and boat numbers.

As has been said, in essence you are just registering it in BC. You would not have to pay if you moved from Ontario with the boat. As long as you can provide proof tax was paid you should be fine.

As has been said, in essence you are just registering it in BC. You would not have to pay if you moved from Ontario with the boat. As long as you can provide proof tax was paid you should be fine.

ok great ... that will help me sleep tonight!

ICBC just forced me to pay 12% on the trailer even though I had a bill of sale showing that I already paid 13% in Ontario.

Just put a call into the local Autoplan dealer here. They said all of this is happening because the boat/trailer was never registered in Ontario before being shipped here. If that would have happened, then there would have been absolutely no tax owing as they would have been considered personal effects.

Back