PSF's $10M project to bring salmon back to Straight of Georgia

tincan

PSF's Dr. Brian Riddell talks about the plan to bring back chinook and coho to the Straight of Georgia. $10M project over 5 years in partnership with many other non-profits, universities, industry groups and gov't.

[video=vimeo;75711905]http://vimeo.com/75711905

Gonna teach the fish to turn left instead of right?

jokes aside... Good to hear. Hopefully its not wasted on " studies"

if the fishing in the straight gets any better we will have our 15 springs in 8 trips out. It's phenominal already

Some of the science as mentioned in the video is amazing-my mouth was literally hanging open in awe as he talked about what can be done.

Where is it phenomenal? I think the idea is get is so everywhere is good again.. Not just the Nanaimo and Thrasher areas... For the people up there I am sure there are many that would like a longer season anyway..... Also would be awesome not to have so many areas shut down...

Your right some areas get some good fishing in but they are very localized, but predominately it is still pretty poor to what it used to be as far as numbers... If you look at the entire straight.

The entire straight was full of coho all year. All places had their moments of lights out fishing for springs this year as well. The spring was incredible fishing from CR all the way to the southern tip.

There is nothing wrong with the inside. Is it the banks? nope. Is it pretty good fishing most of the time? Id say so.

I personally think this is great. You may say that there is nothing wrong with the inside but you cant possibly argue the fact that there is room for a huge improvement. It may be a pipe dream but it would be a great day to be able to bob around the gulf islands and have fishing comparable to the west coast.

Not anywhere near what I used to be. That's what I am getting at. I welcome the news.

You need to get out more. The fishing has dramatically improved over the last 4 years on the Straight of Georgia. All the area's that SophiaB posted have seen some great fishing over the last few years. I am optimistic that it could be a trend. So this big plan is a bonus IMO.

I haven't seen fishing off Nanaimo like I did this June since my late teens. I have read the reports for all the area's SophiaB mentioned over the last couple of years and it has been steadily improving. Fish these area's and you will see for yourself. Why do you think the Comox guy's have kept quiet for the last two years :rolleyes:. It's really not that hard to figure out lol :D.

Fish these area's and you will see for yourself. Why do you think the Comox guy's have kept quiet for the last two years :rolleyes:. It's really not that hard to figure out lol :D.

Unless you are talking about small coho. Which there were thousands of them. Fishing was slow.

All the Comox guys had to go do their fishing in Campbell River areas and Powell River, cause the run seemed to pass by us. Except the short fishery we saw at the end of May and first weeks of June. But we were still getting out fished by other areas. Even locals were taking moorage at marinas north of here and taking the hour long drive to go fishing after work. That just goes to show you how good the fishing in Comox was. It was really frustrating reading and hearing all of the reports from Shelter Point and the CR Hump and the killfest in Nanaimo and French Creek.

Sure hope our local fishery gets better here in Comox. Even the fall Harbour fishery has been next to nothing this year. Totally poor.

Come try it out John I'll take you.....

http://www.psf.ca/newsandmedia/pres...ounced-to-support-us-canadian-salmon-research

NEWS RELEASE
For Immediate Release

October 17, 2013

Historic Grant to Study Marine Survival of Pacific Salmon and Steelhead in the Salish Sea

Vancouver, British Columbia --The Southern Fund Committee and the Pacific Salmon Commission announced a commitment of $5 million dollars (U.S.) during the next five years to support the Salish Sea Marine Survival Project, a collaborative U.S. and Canadian scientific effort to improve understanding of the causes of salmon and steelhead mortality in the Salish Sea, the body of water that includes the Strait of Georgia, Strait of Juan de Fuca, and Puget Sound. The announcement was made on October 17 in Seattle, Washington.

I think that Chinook and Coho are on the rebound in many area's,
but maybe High Five is referring to an era
when trophy Tyee were a typical catch from the Saanich inlet and Cowichan bay.
This would date back to the 50's, 60's and 70's.
While the hatchery's have helped, the native fish have been decimated due to urban sprawl
and poorly regulated logging activities.
Take a look at the once thriving Cowichan river and you'll understand.

Government and private groups on both sides of the border are joining forces to try to find out what is affecting salmon survival in the waters off the coasts of British Columbia and Washington State.
Brian Riddell, president and CEO of the Pacific Salmon Foundation, said it is hoped that an initial grant of $5-million can be expanded to $20-million over the next five years.
The focus of the research project will be the Salish Sea, a geographical area that combines the waters of the Strait of Georgia, Puget Sound and Juan de Fuca Strait.
Those sheltered waters on the east coast of Vancouver Island and around the southern tip, and in the inlets north of Seattle, are the primary rearing area for salmon that migrate out of numerous coastal rivers, including the Fraser. Scientists have long believed that conditions in those inside waters drastically affect the survival rate of salmon in the early stages of life.
“The importance of the Salish Sea in determining salmon production has been overlooked for far too long,” said Dr. Riddell, whose B.C.-based non-profit foundation is dedicated to conserving and rebuilding Pacific salmon stocks.
The initial funding for the project is being provided jointly to the Pacific Salmon Foundation and to Long Live the Kings, a U.S. non-profit named after king or Chinook salmon. The Pacific Salmon Commission, an international organization formed under the Pacific Salmon Treaty, and the Southern Fund Committee, a related entity, are providing the initial funds.
“This is the largest grant ever made to a bilateral research effort focused squarely on determining the influences on early marine survival of salmon and steelhead,” said Larry Rutter, the U.S. federal commissioner to the Pacific Salmon Commission, who is also a member of the Southern Fund Committee. “We believe that this joint project will ultimately lead to healthier salmon and steelhead stocks in both U.S. and Canadian waters.”
“The marine waters of the Salish Sea are critically important to the survival of many stocks that are of great significance to the U.S. and Canadian commercial, recreational and tribal fisheries,” said John Field, executive secretary for the Pacific Salmon Commission.
Some 20 federal and state agencies, tribes, academic and non-profit organizations are expected to be involved in the project.
Catches of Chinook and coho salmon and of steelhead in the Salish Sea have been at historic low levels in recent years, but it isn’t known what has caused those declines. Other species, such as sockeye, have been varying widely, with a record-high return coming back to the Fraser River in 2010, for example, following a record-low in 2009. Scientists hope clues to the mystery can be found in the Salish Sea.

Back