PSA: Home Network Security

TenMile

Don't often mix work-stuff with play stuff but thought the group here might find these guides useful. I work in the IT industry and the number of Ransomware attacks going on is getting out of hand.

First, for those with young families at home -- a free service for protecting against inappropriate content (Malware, Ransomware, etc...): https://www.opendns.com/about/press...ols-the-easiest-way-to-keep-kids-safe-online/

For those with a business who want to do some more reading about protecting against Ransomware, here's a good checklist along with a link to a free eBook: https://learn-umbrella.cisco.com/infographics/ransomware-defense-checklist

OpenDNS is free to use for home users and is dead simple to set up.

Thanks for the links, but for complete peace of mind switch to Linux. When my kids were younger if they got an infection I would wipe Windoze and force them to use Linux. I told them when you learn to install Windoze yourself, and can reinstall from a backup without my assistance you can return to using Microsloth again. Best thing I ever did for my kids, gave them the desire to learn how to install, maintain, and restore their own systems. Linux has no virus issues and is totally free. Try it you might actually like it. Every Android phone is basically a mini Linux computer.

Last edited:
Yep, been a Linux home user for years. It's not for everyone as it does take a bit of work under the hood. Getting a Chromebook is one of the easiest ways to enjoy Linux as that's the underlying OS that powers their devices.

OpenDNS works hand and glove with Linux, Playstations, XBOX, Windows, Mac, Android, iPhones etc.... Mobile devices have become a huge and lucrative market for hackers so the cool think about OpenDNS is that you can use it on your smartphone too.

In that checklist I posted above, that eBook is good reading. Worth a look.

What about that Fixit Stick being advertised on TV at the moment? Looks just as good as those miracle diet pills where you can lose 10 lb a week without exercising!

What about that Fixit Stick being advertised on TV at the moment? Looks just as good as those miracle diet pills where you can lose 10 lb a week without exercising!

They invented a pill that you can lose 10 pounds a week without exercising? Could you post a link to that. I would like to get rid of the Xmas turkey gains without the pain of exercising. :)

I'd never heard of that device before. I believe it's called the FixMe Stick? If that's the one, it's actually a very unique way of doing a virus/malware scan of your machine. Basically, it's a version of Linux that runs on a USB stick. You shut your machine down, and reboot it to run their version of Linux. It updates itself via wireless and then scans your entire system looking for virus/malware etc. Once done, you reboot your system again back to your regular OS and the system should be clear. I've not seen the advertising for it -- sounds like they have decided to do it via infomercial which is unfortunate.

Slight difference in how OpenDNS and an Anti-Virus work. An AV solution catches Malware/Virus etc after your system has been exposed -- sort of like curing a cold after you catch it. OpenDNS actually prevents your system from visiting Malware sites at all so your system is never exposed. If your machine has a rootkit or malware already attached, OpenDNS also prevents the malware from "calling home" -- for example if you get impacted by a Ransomware attack, OpenDNS prevents it from downloading the files it needs in order to execute and lock up your machine -- so renders it useless. Generally speaking, its good practice to run OpenDNS + AV + Email Security (I use Gmail for my mail which has an excellent web security component). It's the belt-and-suspenders approach to security.

There are many good freeware Linux tools that you do not have to pay for that can scan your windows partitions for malware and virii. You can either run them from a separate Linux partition (dual boot) or run them off a Linux boot disk or thumbdrive that does not require installation.

In the Linux world most programs are completely free. There are even free marine navigation programs for Linux.

Back