Property Assessments Are Out: Check Yours Here

Man, on the subject of what non-property owners think...

My permanent-renter sister once lit into me because I was in the process of selling one place and trying to find another and the market was really tight and I kept missing places and was getting increasingly stressed out as things dragged on.

"That's ridiculous, you can't feel stressed from that, you're making hundreds of thousands of dollars... this is just white privilege in action. You have no idea what stress is."

Somehow forgetting, of course, the fact that she's equally white, lived at home with our parents until 25, and was never a homeless street kid which I was, after leaving home at sixteen for a whole pile of reasons none of which she ever faced.

So actually yes, I know exactly what stress is...not just rental stress but living in a $200 car stress, sleeping on steam vents in Vancouver stress, and yes, house buying and selling stress.

It's net worth all right but it ain't no Scrooge McDuck-ey vault I get to swim in.

Ours went up 10.34% over last year. Out here in the coastal hinterland, one ferry ride after the end of the road.

9.6% tap on the North Shore...this can keep going for a few more years, please, so I too can someday have a commander of my very own haha

9.6% tap on the North Shore...this can keep going for a few more years, please, so I too can someday have a commander of my very own haha
By my justification of owning one you should own several by now lol.

My assessment went down 6,000 in Nanaimo?
Are you close to downtown or the "temporary" housing units? If so that wouldn't surprise me one bit. The assessed value doesn't really have much to do with what properties are selling for anyway.

My tax increases over the last 5 years are as follows:
2017-19%
2018=15%
2019-16%
2020-8%
2021-3%
I live in Lantzville, just north of Nanaimo. Who knows how they figure this stuff out?

My tax increases over the last 5 years are as follows:
2017-19%
2018=15%
2019-16%
2020-8%
2021-3%
I live in Lantzville, just north of Nanaimo. Who knows how they figure this stuff out?
tax increase or assessment increase?

Are the assessment increases in line with how the boat prices have been going up lately ? ;)

Last edited:
We’re up 3.5% this year in Port Coquitlam. It brought it up to where I think it should be. I’ll finish the basement this year and pick up another 10% probably

We’re up 3.5% this year in Port Coquitlam. It brought it up to where I think it should be. I’ll finish the basement this year and pick up another 10% probably
You might pick up that 10% if you do it with permits, or self report the improvements while contesting your assessment after finishing the basement. Otherwise how do they know of the improvements?

You might pick up that 10% if you do it with permits, or self report the improvements while contesting your assessment after finishing the basement. Otherwise how do they know of the improvements?
Yeah I will have to get permits. I’m fine with that. The permits aren’t very expensive for a basement renovation.

our place was originally supposed to have 3 bedrooms upstairs but it was just two massive bedrooms. Our assessment has always said it’s a three bedroom, and I’ve just finished converting the big spare room into two rooms for the kid on the way in february. So now we finally have an accurate assessment haha

Back