Prop selection help - Etec G2 300 & 23.5 Hourston

Hannes, congratulations on the purchase of the E-TEC G2. They are amazing engines. My dealer recommended the 4 blade Cyclone. I liked it because it held the boat on plane at low RPM's.

The critical point with prop selection is that your engine will achieve it's max RPM range at WOT. If not, both performance and engine life can be compromised. With the 300HP E-TEC that's likely around 5850 RPM. Assuming the dealer is not only selling you the engine and doing the rigging/installation, why would he risk reputation by selling you "whatever he's got sitting around collecting dust". And if the prop installed by the dealer is the dealers recommended prop, you will know if it is the right prop on your first sea trial. The E-TEC can be run up to MAX RPM from day one.

The performance numbers on the Scout are likely based on the US Gallon. I'll bet you easily achieve those numbers. You will need to pick a calm day for that first trial!

Fair point regarding the dealer and their concern for their reputation. They are doing all the rigging and I suppose I should just trust them. I've been burned by boat shops in the past and this is the first time I will have worked with this dealer. Thanks for the information.

Back