Prop removal?

Merrittboy

Have read different opinions regarding the removal of the prop for winter. What do you guys think. Weather can get cold in Merritt usually around freezing to minus 10. Is this standard to have them removed?

If your not going to use the boat better you remove it than a thief.

I've never removed my prop because of cold weather, keep the motor vertical so no water collects then freezes, and as Profisher said to prevent the chance of theft just remove it, it takes about 30 sec.
If you do remove it place a bag over it, so no dirt and other foreign materials get on the shaft.

aug201010.jpg

By removing the prop you get the opportunity to inspect for fishing line that gets caught up on the shaft which can be bad news for the seal. I usually change the oil incase of water contamination which could freeze if the temp gets low enough and split the gearcase.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

prop locks are available . also props and thrust washers should be removed at least once a year to grease the splines and as stated above check for line or seal damage. can say i've ever heard of temp being a problem for the prop itself.

Back