Prop leaking oil

Wiseguy

Hey guys, upon first start up after winter in my driveway with the rabbit ears on, I have a slight trickle of black oil coming out of the prop, it runs down the skeg onto the ground. In your expert opinions do I need to get the prop seal changed?

Hey guys, upon first start up after winter in my driveway with the rabbit ears on, I have a slight trickle of black oil coming out of the prop, it runs down the skeg onto the ground. In your expert opinions do I need to get the prop seal changed?
2 stroke or 4 stroke? Might be normal for 2 stroke, But check the leg oil.

lower drive rear seal change it before it starts to get into lower drive...Check your lower leg oil....Its good to change them out after a while anyway..

Change gear oil every year before starting the season...an ounce of prevention...;)

This is normal for a 2-stroke, especially after not having been run for the winter season. Change you gear oil once per season.

Said before if it constantly leaking that's not normal and usually pionts to a bad seal...This is very easy fix to do...Just take it out run and if you come home and it's leaking still change the seal...It will get worse...It had this happen to me while back in old boat. When it was fixed never once saw drippng oil anymore..It is normal to see a little oil in the hub...But excessive leaving usually are bad seals.

Thanks for all your advice guys. Much appreciated. I called it in to my local marine dealer, they told me, it is a normal occurrence, because the oil is black and not clear, its exhaust residue that is leaking out especially so after sitting all winter. I will definitely be keeping an eye on it...in the meantime I will change out the leg oil. Thanx again fellas.

Was going to say normal for a 2 stroke. Gear oil has a distinctive smell as well. I change mine in the fall after the boat goes back on the trailer for the winter. The reasons for doing it in the fall..... If the oil is muddy looking there is water getting into the gearcase and better to fix it sooner than later. After long periods of non use the water and oil will separate and bearings don't like sitting in salt water. Also in areas of extreme cold it prevents a cracked gearcase from freeze up.

Been told to drain oil from leg in fall to check for water and then again after it has sat all winter, then refill of course. Make sense or overkill?

If there is no sign of water in the fall...its good for a year unless you do something that is of concern and you feel you need to check for damage.

Back