Prop guard (9.9 Merc ProKicker)

MiddlepointBight

Hi all,

Doing a kicker re-power on 21' Hourston cuddy from a 9.9 Yam HT to a 9.9 Merc Pro, and selling my Yam with the Adventure Marine prop guard, so looking for another guard for the Merc. Also re-powering the main, but that's another marital adventure unto itself. :p

The Adventure Marine guard did the trick, but I found it very bulky, and dragged a fair bit in the water before getting up on step. Really not a big deal, as it was well clear of the water while on plane, but curious if people have comments on other guards.

Been looking at the guards at RPM in PA, they seem a little more slender (and cheaper).

I've also seen guys running those guards that are single hoops / rings - are those as effective? Where are those from? Seen some guides up north using them.

Thanks for the ideas / insights.

Hi all,

Doing a kicker re-power on 21' Hourston cuddy from a 9.9 Yam HT to a 9.9 Merc Pro, and selling my Yam with the Adventure Marine prop guard, so looking for another guard for the Merc. Also re-powering the main, but that's another marital adventure unto itself. :p

The Adventure Marine guard did the trick, but I found it very bulky, and dragged a fair bit in the water before getting up on step. Really not a big deal, as it was well clear of the water while on plane, but curious if people have comments on other guards.

Been looking at the guards at RPM in PA, they seem a little more slender (and cheaper).

I've also seen guys running those guards that are single hoops / rings - are those as effective? Where are those from? Seen some guides up north using them.

Thanks for the ideas / insights.
I got my pro kicker from RPM in PA and got one of their in house built 2” stainless guards and it’s a beauty. No complaints here

if you know a steam fitter or welder I’m sure they could burn up an identical one no prob

We seen one in sooke last year that was the simplest prop guard and very functional. Was made from 3/8 or 1/2 inch stainless rod. Didn't get super close but looked easy to make and really slim without any snagup spots on it for line to get caught in. Must have been custom because none of my suppliers up here sell anything like that

I really dont see why you couldn't make one from round aluminum stock. be plenty strong. Easier to bend and weld.

Last edited:
I got my pro kicker from RPM in PA and got one of their in house built 2” stainless guards and it’s a beauty. No complaints here

if you know a steam fitter or welder I’m sure they could burn up an identical one no prob
Same

We switched from a wider prop guard to a narrow ring on our yammi 8 kicker a few years ago and have had no issues with it. The reason for switching was in a big following sea (coming back from Swiftsure to Port Renfrew) with the kicker up on tilt, the wave caught the wider prop guard with such force it cracked the fin on the motor at the attachment point. This does not happen with the ring.

clint R on the forum here built one for my Merc Pro with measurements I gave him over the phone. Works perfect. don;t remember the price other than I was more than pleased

We switched from a wider prop guard to a narrow ring on our yammi 8 kicker a few years ago and have had no issues with it. The reason for switching was in a big following sea (coming back from Swiftsure to Port Renfrew) with the kicker up on tilt, the wave caught the wider prop guard with such force it cracked the fin on the motor at the attachment point. This does not happen with the ring.

Yeah, this was my experience (minus the cracked fin/skeg) with the bulky Adventure Marine guard..

Does your ring guard look something like this? Just a sketch, but should give the idea (single ring/hoop).

Where did you find it?

1634919172325.png

I was in Trtac on Friday looking for a ring type for my 9.9 yam but all the had was the 3 inch wide
also couldn’t see it online at RPM in port Alberni

I got a Prop guard a few years ago as a present and because I took awhile to get going I found out too late it doesn't fit and the marine store won't take it back for exchange.
Brand new but won't fit my OLD 9.9 high thrust 4 stroke kicker.
Stainless steel1639424614225.png
This is what it looks like

Make an offer

Back