Problem with fin/pankake downrigger lead

Peahead

I have a few pankake lead weights and a few canonballs. Wondering what people prefer but also I have a specific problem with one of them. Now that sockeye season is here I tend to use fin/pankake weights on the side riggers and a canon ball down the middle ( keeps side cables out farther away from middle cable)
The problem is that one or more of my pankakes 'wobble' or 'snake', tracking in a S-like pattern. Anotherwords doesn't track steady in that slightly outward angle. No matter how much or how little I bend the stainless fin I just can't get one of them to track without zig zagging back and forth (in about a about 10 " width). Its possible its a bad one but also may just be a problem with the whole brand I use. I use both DELTA and GIBBS fin weights but not sure which one is tracking poorly.
Any ideas what I can do ? Anyone had this problem with certain brand of fin/pankake weights?

I make a lot of lead cannonballs for guys and very few people like the pancake style. I remelt a ton of them (literally). The ones that do like them, love them. They are hard to tune to track straight. I talked to one guy that had one pancake weight track all the way out to one side, then "fly" over to the other side and wipe out that weight. He got totally tangled and lost the whole works.

Most guys, as well as myself, prefer the finned weights, with just enough fin to keep the ball from spinning. The theory behind this is that it prolongs the life of the downrigger wire by not twisting and untwisting the wire. In my experience, the balls track true and straight except in really heavy tide or current conditions, but even with pancakes you're going to have trouble.

I know it's nice to get more spread on the riggers, but is fighting the weights really worth it? My suggestion is try finned weights, heavier weights (12 or 15lbs?)or stacking at slightly different depths to avoid tangles.

Hope I could be of some help.

Dave

Could it be that you have the fin bent too much. Since you are probably not fishing deep, there will be a problem with the weight of the ball and the angle of the fin. I bent mine too far once and had that problem. Only bend the fin slightly and see if it clears up.
Cheers, Rob

I have one pancake 15lbs use it all the time works good, less drag.

Peahead, the Gibbs weights have a very short fin, I would guess this is causing you're tracking problem. Try a 13 pound Peetz or similar weight. If you want to save some money, I make 14 pound disc weights with 4.75 X 8 inch stainless steel fin - I have no tracking problems with these weights.

Peahead, the Gibbs weights have a very short fin, I would guess this is causing you're tracking problem. Try a 13 pound Peetz or similar weight. If you want to save some money, I make 14 pound disc weights with 4.75 X 8 inch stainless steel fin - I have no tracking problems with these weights.

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

I love pancake weights. Once you figure them out you will never go back to regular round balls.

Ok sounds good, the only thing is that I felt I had figured them out a long time ago. I have fine tuned several in the past. The problem is I have one, maybe two, ( possibly a particular brand as 2xeagle16</u> pointed out) that are not cooperating. Perhaps it can be tuned as marsman</u> has pointed out- I have however bent the stainless fin all the way from straight to bent a fair bit ( and everything in-between). Adrianna3 </u> I don't think I'd ever get cable swisting from the weight spining (not sure why others would either if they use swivels in the clip) I assume most people are using either clips that attach directly and have swivels or like myself I use rubber snubbers with ball bearing swivels. This would eliminate cable twist when the ball or pankake spin (a ball without a fin works fine for me as long as swivels are incoorperated in the method of attachment of cable to the ball) I am using 15 lb balls with and without fins and as well pankake weights of 13 and 15 lbs.

Perhaps as adrianna3 and phnapa suggest I evetually will melt a couple my pankakes down - and just chalk it up to the fact that all pankakes don't all work well.

Thanks for all your help and tips everyone!

Greg

I frequently like to fish right on the floor for salmon, more so for halis. Pancake weights aren't much good for this, so mine generally stay in the locker.

Heat the pancake weights to about 900deg F and pour into a mold should make them track true.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Peppysan

quote:Originally posted by doger5

Junk[^]

Could you please elaborate on that?
Is it because it will not run true, or ???

Thanks for your valued input. ;)

Not speaking for dodger5 but my take on this is that these weights are a silly gimmick......to catch gullable fishers....a marketing attempt of some sort. While I am sure they work as a lead weight and probably track ok I figure whats the point of pouring a lead shaped like a fish ? Kind of a joke really. NO! I don't think it attracts fish to it any more than any other lead .....actually it would kind of scare me if I was a fish :D I hope those things don't cost more ?

I run the Gibbs 13lbers and have for over ten years. I have them hooked straight to the black Scotty ball clip. I have one pancake set for each side of my boat. There is a very and mean very little bend in the fin. You have to make sure the bend is in the right derection or they will come together under your boat and tangle. They do wonder/flutter if you start running over 4knots. I never run that fast. I have never had any problem dragging bottom or fishing 120-250 feet down. I only own one round cannon ball and it has not ever been used.

quote:Originally posted by bifish99

I frequently like to fish right on the floor for salmon, more so for halis. Pancake weights aren't much good for this, so mine generally stay in the locker.

Why do you feel they aren't good for bottom bouncing ????

My main reason for wanting to use pankakes is the spread they provide the gear at depth. They take the cable out a bit to the sides so if you have a rigger down the middle ( with cannonball !! ) they provide that little bit of extra room for a rigger down the middle , even on my small boat. I have 7 foot beam so even with scotty long arms providing another 6' ( approx 3' out each side) thats 3 cables out in a 13' spread. On a boat with larger beam obviously less necesary.

Onr thing I really like about the pankakes is how they perform out of the water !!! Not roolling all over the place. You can put them down anywhere and they stay put !!

Back