Pro Marine Portable Flex Fold Crab Trap

Sir Reel

Has any one used a Pro Marine Flex Fold stainless steel trap for either crabbing or prawning?
I like the fact the can fold up and store away when cruising.
They are on sale for the next few days.
Interested to know opinions.

Has any one used a Pro Marine Flex Fold stainless steel trap for either crabbing or prawning?

You will not catch any prawns. Mesh size too big.

They are the only way too go. Yes you will catch prawns. And a lot of them. Great and convenient. I have four of the crab traps and would never go back to any other type. Expensive but never need to replace. Starting to buy the prawn traps now.

Is that the sale price?

Just be damned careful opening one up the spring steel they use is seriously strong as well it should be.

I got this email from them but does not seem to take 15% off at purchase

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

While the Thanksgiving season is a time for thinking of others and giving to others, showing appreciation and thanks for the things in life. Take advantage of our Thanksgiving Sale and get 15% off the cost of many of our products. Make it a Win-Win for Everyone!!!

· Flex Fold Crab Trap
· Flex Fold Prawn Trap
· Flex Fold Combo Trap
· Pro Thin-Line Hauler
· Pro Pick-Up Buoy

Plus a FREE BAIT CONTAINER is available with every purchase of a trap or line hauler. Order online today and receive your 15% off discount purchase. Discounts are only available until October 14,2021.

I have one of these traps. I like it, my dad hates it. We tend to crab in an area where we get a ton of rock crabs. They are hard to get out of the mesh. The mesh also sags quite a bit, so I tie a pool noodle a foot up. So the mesh doesn't sag. I like it cause it stores easily. Dad calls it a gimmick trap, and says we would never use it except for the facts it fits on the boat easily. My nine year old son is a good crabber. He catches them off the dock. Feeds them and then releases them. He uses the fold type, brings up a crab every three minutes or so.

I have had my flex-fold crab trap for about 6 years and it produces quite well. Convenient folded size which is important with the limited space I have on my sailboat. It folds up easily.
I bought the prawn version 2 years ago and sold it this summer for next to nothing. It fished the prawns reasonably well, but once un-folded I never could get it folded back up where it would fit in the bag. The increased net size due to smaller mesh plus the shaped opening made it a real bear to try and fold... My .02 cents worth...

lol, as the cheapskate who bought it for next to nothing, I can confirm both that it fishes well, and the bloody thing WILL NOT GO BACK IN THE BAG :)
However, brute force and a bit of judicious use of some extra rope (and omitting the bag) and I still consider it a useful purchase. I'm now convinced since the crab traps use the same main wire, and have no issues folding, that "we" just got a lemon.
As previously noted, if storage space is a requirement, they fit the bill.

yup i use them, and the baur traps. have caught equal amounts in both. and now my 4 prawn traps and 4 crab traps fit in two rubber made containers instead of my whole boat lol

ok we have used the traps now for a month or two, finding that the flex fold traps get as many prawns as my square traps, combine that with storage, and ease of emptying Im going to sell my rigid traps ......
That drill system. How do you like it. I always see those at boat shows and wonder

Man just did a lot of reading on their website,
Temping to buy 2 combo traps, 2 spools and the hauler.......

Back