Price Check - Mercruiser 4.3L w/ Alpha 1 complete assembly.

TipUp

Podding my Malibu 185 and looking to sell my existing Mercruiser 4.3L with Alpha 1 gen II leg. The engine and leg have 2400 hours on them and I believe they are both model year 1994. The engine was running well prior to pulling (done by a certified heavy-duty marine mechanic), the oil pan, gimbel bearing, U-joints and at least some of the bellows will need to be replaced. New starter, carb, plugs and plug leads last year. Alternator, fuel pump, impeller, shift cables, and coil replaced season before last. Includes: gauges, side mount flush control, trim reservoir/pump, harness, shift and throttle cables, hydraulic steering (18' boat), transom housing, leg, fresh water cooling system. Compression was checked before pulling the engine but I'll have to confirm what the readings were with the mechanic.

Any insight into what this package is worth is greatly appreciated, of course offers are also welcome.
Thanks

i had a very similar package to yours :1991 fwc 2bbl carbed 4.3, alpha 1 g 2 very well maintained with tonnes of new parts within the last year... engine started knocking and lost compression on at least one of the cylinders (50PSI) still very rebuildable

The engine went into the scrap bin and the leg was given to a friend after sitting around for 3 months

problem seems to be that no one wants to put $ into a well worn package IMO

id piece it out to whoever, and then scrap whats left when your tired of it sitting around

yep same can be said here
have a 4.3 in part tear down and it looks like its going the scrap yard
as i picked up a complete 4.3 kem 2004 for $900
your leg is prob worth more then the engine

but you should get $300-500 for the leg
but on the engine who knows mite end up being a give away

It's a shame that cost to rebuild sends so many of these blocks to scrap. Truth be told, a well seasoned used block properly rebored, align honed and decked will make a way better engine than a new block. Use a better fitting piston, 6 inch conrods and a stroker crank and you have a way improved piece over stock.

only problem with older blocks though is rusted out bolts & studs which snap and you end up with more issues
and lack of machine shops who do engine work
also usually is just easy to mod the dog house and go with a 350 which gives you way more gains
and there is hell of lot more parts and at better prices for the V8 and it don't have to work as hard

only problem with older blocks though is rusted out bolts & studs which snap and you end up with more issues
and lack of machine shops who do engine work
also usually is just easy to mod the dog house and go with a 350 which gives you way more gains
and there is hell of lot more parts and at better prices for the V8 and it don't have to work as hard

I agree. I was commenting on someone who may have no choice but a 4.3. Custom building any engine is a labour of love and is not for everyone.

Thanks for the info guys. I was hoping to get around $1000 but I don't think it's gonna happen, it's a shame considering how much has been spent on accessories for this engine over the years. It will make for some cheap parts for someone that needs them though.

I agree. I was commenting on someone who may have no choice but a 4.3. Custom building any engine is a labour of love and is not for everyone.

yes me was in that same position as i have 4.3 so know all the heart aches
even having to remod lots of things to even make my kodiak 4.3 fit as it came out of a river jet boat
with 500hrs on it.

but if the OP parts the stuff out he should build up to $1000 its just a matter of time on craigslist
but if its all clean down and posted with good pics it should move

**** if i was working more i'd buy the leg/prop and if it had a 4 bb holley
also the closed cooling is worth a bit along with starter alternator

Thanks for the info guys. I was hoping to get around $1000 but I don't think it's gonna happen, it's a shame considering how much has been spent on accessories for this engine over the years. It will make for some cheap parts for someone that needs them though.

Be patient and part it out in Craigslist. As said, lots of those parts are worth good coin to someone who needs them.

also boating season is coming up
so don't let it go to cheap, unless you just need it gone.
wish you well with the sale
never know i made need some bits if you do end up breaking it up for parts .....

I have same exact boat and year as yours.... I considered podding like Shermanator's but likely won't do that to this boat will possibly go bigger with one that has a pod..... When I looked into it for a a good leg not in crap condition they were 800-1000... considering you also have fresh water cooling system you should be able to get that... the motor likely guys won't want..

Let me know how the pod goes... I am interested to here how the ride/flotation is changed..

Back