Premium fuel for 2 stroke?

Yes...they call that "making oil" in four strokes......you run the engine for some hours and you notice the dipstick level is higher than it was before.

Happens when you run the 4-stroke for periods and it doesn't heat up enough.......then the blow-by mixes with the oil and increases the volume.
Completely agree SF. My yamie almost never idles. Only when warming it up or coming into dock to cool down and then shut down. I have not had the ECU checked yet ( just at 97 hours) but i'll bet I am 90% in the cruising rpm range and 10% idle. I also probably have 5 hours on my kicker for every hour on the main. Another reason for a good reliable fuel-sipping 4s kicker.

I would vote for putting better oil in two stroke myself...I wouldn't go against what it says in the manual.... Despite what mechanic says. So if the motor blows up can these guys with advice be responsible? It might be all right but I wouldn't risk it myself.

I never ran good stuff in my old 89 VRO envirude and it has lasted years and ran fine... Just regular gasoline with the manufacturer oil not cheap brand...I attributed that to good oil, and proper maintenance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ethanol absorbs water if given the chance, fresh fuel with ethanol from a gas station that pumps A LOT of gas and used relatively quickly has never caused me any troubles in my optimax(although the boat rarely sits for more than a week). I believe the octane rating is the fuels ability to resist detonation, I think its a good idea always try and run at an RPM range that sounds healthy and try not to "lag" the motor and have again never had a problem. I have always used 87octane with the exception of once in Oregon bought "super" from Safeway gas bar and lost the top end in my Banshee first day on the dunes. Run it right and buy from a reputable source is my take.

Back