pre rigged hoochie leaders

Enniberg

Most of you are probably rigging your own hoochie leaders,but I've got to admit I'm just not good at it.

If you are buying hoochie leaders, which ones do you find are the best?

The best I have found so far are made by GoldStar. I have picked them up at Holiday Sports in Burlington, but did not find theme anywhere around here in BC. I like them because they use thick ad relatively mono, although hooks are on the small side.

Or should I just spend the winter month learning to do it right myself?[:eek:)]

I'm assuming you're talking rigs with two hooks and I would suggest you don't need tandem rigs.

Just use heavy duty siwash hook pinched on to a swivel and you're good to go, you can add beads to the leader if you like. The hooks are stronger, you can't fray the bit of line between hooks and I think you get a better hook up.

http://www.fishingvancouverisland.org

I can't tie tandom hooks worth a @#$% so I just buy a bunch of pre tied hootchie leaders at about $1.50 each at my local tackle shop. It's worth it to avoid the headache of trying to tie something you don't have confidence in. Small hooks can still catch big fish if that's your only worry.

I agre with PS-you don't need tandem hooks although it is nice to know how to tie them for other applications. I find that you are really limited as to line strenth etc. if you buy them made up. The other thing to consider is that there are far more hootchy choices if you tie your own-you could fish forever with a different hootchy every day from PNT and never use the same one twice. Speaking of that they will point you in the right direction of hootchy for the area you are fishing." Unkown" is usually on this forum and he has a lot of knowledge on what works and what is "hot" with hootchies.

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

Just use heavy duty siwash hook pinched on to a swivel and you're good to go, you can add beads to the leader if you like. The hooks are stronger, you can't fray the bit of line between hooks and I think you get a better hook up.

I used to use this setup also, but had problems with stainless siwash hooks straightening.
I now run 2 - 3/0 gammie octopus hooks tied tandem
they will not bend or straighten out.
they are extremely sharp and hold well.

I order my on -line Hoochies, pre tied, in tandem from Berrys Bait, and have caught lots of fish, up to 42lbs, and never had a problem. Excellent service!!!

Thats exaclly how I use mine as well Jim easy to get fish off then a tandum set up as the big hook goes in and stays.the only difference is i pinch my barbs LOL LOL:D:D and twist the hook off to the side a bit about a 1/4 of an inch do it digs in even better
good photo.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Thats exaclly how I use mine as well Jim easy to get fish off then a tandum set up as the big hook goes in and stays.the only difference is i pinch my barbs LOL LOL:D:D and twist the hook off to the side a bit about a 1/4 of an inch do it digs in even better
good photo.

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Wolf: Yes, I DO crimp the barbs - just didn't do it for the photo. This one will never see water anyway, it's a demo.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

I know Jim saw it and had to say it LOL LOL anyone with "common sense" would have seen thats an awful short leader LOL LOL LOL but you never know that short you may be on to a new trend......

Wolf

Imagine a fish chasing the hoochie on that short of a leader behind a flasher! That would make "America's Funniest Home Videos" for sure!

I always tie with a mylar skirt if I'm at home and pre-tying fully made up rigs-but on the boat if we have the hootchie dialed in and I'm in a hurry I don't bother-doesn't seem to matter then _'but you already have the hootchie'the length of tie and the depth of fish -so not as critical. If I stop getting fish might rethink and retie.

I tie all my own just like sushi does and really dont measure too much its a hootchie as long as its inbetween 2 to 3ft just do what ever you seem to work, when the soxs were in earlier had a forum memeber ask me sitting on my boat how long I run said look for yourself had 4 different hootchies set and they all caught fish not one of them was the same length, dont think it matters much for a schooling fish like soxs or coho or pinks...

Good luck wolf

I use the same basic set-up with a Siwash. I'll run a 5/0 or 6/0 hook, though. The Mustad 9517 is a good hook, but heavy. Off-set the point. If you use the Mustad, use a 150# barrel swivel. The heavy hook can pop the eye out of the swivel out if you have a short leader and a strong rotation on the hootchie. I've been using the Matzuo sickle hooks this year. A lighter hook than the SS Mustad. They hold well, but they rust quickly.

I run my hootchies on 16" to 18" leaders (50# mono). Hasn't seemed to hurt my hook-up ratio. The hootchie has a much stronger action and the fish have to decide if they want it or not. Longer leaders, for me anyway, seemed to result in more "remote releases" right after the line comes out of the clip.

Tying knots in heavier mono can be a pain. I use(d) the Palomar knot to tie on the swivel. Late this fall, I switched over to crimps using a Jinkai crimper. A lot easier to make up rigs whether for hootchies or spoons/plugs.

Use 9510 5/0 and 6/0 and give those the 1/4" offset. Works just as well without impairing the strength of the hook and generally costs less. Also, it is a lighter hook, has less drag, and easier to sharpen..therefore a better action on the hoochie.

Don't give up on the snell knot yet.
Still, I think, one of the strongest knots and doesn't add weight (swivel etc.) in your hoochie.
Pretty much required for tandem hook sets, unless some one has a better idea. Would love to hear it if you do.

Enniberg, I'll try and get a pm off to you in the next day or so.

Just to add my bit , I also use the same set up and find that the single hook with the beads for spacing works very well.

AL

I find that as one aged the fingers will not tie snell knots fast enough so I use a # 4 siwash hook on the bottom, slide a # 4 eagle claw down the leader, 6 wraps around the shank and back through the eye. Pulled tight this will not slip and I have never had one break. I find this a lot easier and it works for me, especially out in the cold. Slide the beads and hootchie down the leader and you are done.

Just curious if were to use Jim's setup except use one bead and chain swivel to get the hook to the back of skirt, would it still fish the same? I have 3-4 setups like that and haven't used them yet. I also have tied a few like Jim's setup, just bought a boat and getting all my gear setup for the month's ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back