Prawning questions

I think trophywife had that idea a little bit messed up. If you pull with your boat, using an anchor lifter and large buoy, you can't have any weights along the line, just the 20' from the trap weight. So you have to use leaded/sinking rope. Then when you get all the rope up on the surface there is a danger of a boat coming along and running over it as you bring in the floating trap or circle back closer to it. You can pull at about 5 mph but anything faster and your traps will get a distorted metal frame.

I use buckets and highly recommend the hands free. I find with my gunwale height I just put my bucket on an overturned one and that lines it up with the rope coming off the hands free and coils it nicely

i have what looks like the same hose reel in my back yard, the plastic handle broke after less than 1 season with only 50' of regular sized garden hose. good luck with it, lol. I love my brutus, don't have the hands free but it free falls into my large plastic laundry tub pretty much on it's own.

I do think it's a great idea but from experience with plastic hose reels I would think something more skookum for the handle especially would be needed, assuming your unit is a plastic. looks like it fits into any rod holder so you can move it around. at worst it would work great for merely coiling and storing your rope after you pull the traps.

I have the brutus hands free as well. I have a round tub that will hold all the rope for two sets. Whatever container you use the rope will eventually remember and coil in nicely. I have to keep a bit of tension on the rope as it is coiling in the tub. If I don't it slacks a bit then the rope gets itself wrapped around the drum and jams up. Anyone else have this problem?

I have the brutus hands free as well. I have a round tub that will hold all the rope for two sets. Whatever container you use the rope will eventually remember and coil in nicely. I have to keep a bit of tension on the rope as it is coiling in the tub. If I don't it slacks a bit then the rope gets itself wrapped around the drum and jams up. Anyone else have this problem?
Once in awhile happens with mine can't complain though does a hell of a job

Looks good but don't you want to pull your traps on either port or starboard side ? Looks like you would be pulling from the stern ?
I do think it's a great idea but from experience with plastic hose reels I would think something more skookum for the handle especially would be needed, assuming your unit is a plastic. looks like it fits into any rod holder so you can move it around. at worst it would work great for merely coiling and storing your rope after you pull the traps.

I have an Ace Brutus puller as well. I just use the hose reel for storing the line. One person works the puller and one person coils the line onto the hose reel. No more tangles. It was never intended to pull the line up by cranking on the hose reel.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, seems to me like a good steady pull through a buoy should be just fine. However if I found a puller for $350, I'd be all over that. Gonna try and get back into it this year

The Scotty trap pullers go on sale all the time u can pick them up new for 350 bucks.

I use the Scotty with two traps 10lb in each and leaded line, not breaking records on speed but its a constant pull in a small package that I can stow out of the way. If I had more space I'd probably have tried the Ace but I'm happy with the Scotty for couple years now

I think trophywife had that idea a little bit messed up. If you pull with your boat, using an anchor lifter and large buoy, you can't have any weights along the line, just the 20' from the trap weight. So you have to use leaded/sinking rope. Then when you get all the rope up on the surface there is a danger of a boat coming along and running over it as you bring in the floating trap or circle back closer to it. You can pull at about 5 mph but anything faster and your traps will get a distorted metal frame.

i have never used any weights on the line! one small knot 10' before traps that acts as a stop so line does not pull back through snatchblock. big knot 2' away from first trap as a stopper. little weight on the bottom of the traps, leaded line, large scotchman, floating anchor, opening snatchblock.. never had any one come close to running into the line..
we used this method for years and never had a problem. i still have the set up..

Back