Prawning nanaimo-gabriola

I got out a few times last winter targeting bugs around Gabe and it wasn't exactly worth it due to the high percentages of egg bearing females. On one trip in January, I had approximately 60 or so prawns caught but only kept 10 or so due to all the females that obviously were carrying eggs. I know you are technically allowed to keep the females but it just seems like a poor choice in waters I plan on fishing for more than the next couple years.

I heard from other sources that getting out in September/October or March and later means you'll be less likely to pull females with eggs. I'll make a couple attempts this winter but I doubt I'll hit them hard unless I get some decent results.

Cheers,

7-2

Ya I've been out a few times in the past week and out of 550 in 2 trips we threw back about 30-40 with eggs. Ill take that any day.

Haven't had much luck so far due to not getting out and having motor issues, looks like back to work mid sept,could use some fish and maybe a prawn or two, might get out sunday with the chipstealer.. will have to see, the reports on the prawning out front and off gabe are off the hook right now! by the looks of it they are off the north side of Gabe, were onto you now islander55 !

haha you guys are close on your location guessings!

So can anyone tell me if the egg bearing prawns are Around all winter or is it just for a few months? I dropped the traps this afternoon and 50/200 were big egg bearers.

Back