Prawning Locations

S

sellsworth001

Howdy Everyone,

I'm new to the Mainland and am wondering where one could find some prawning grounds? Is there any good opportunities around Bowen?

You know where its really good is, Over by the SunShine Coast. but if you want it by Vancouver it would have to be at Point Atkinson . North East of Bowen island is good by the small island.[8D][8D]

quote:Originally posted by orion91

You know where its really good is, Over by the SunShine Coast. but if you want it by Vancouver it would have to be at Point Atkinson . North East of Bowen island is good by the small island.[8D][8D]
Thanks for the info. Is the small island called Bowyer? I checked out the chart and the depth looks good.

Nope, prawning on the Sunshine Coast sucks, everyone stay away!!!

Sorry, have to go shovel the prawns off the front of the island now. They really stink if we don't push them all back into the ocean at least once a week :D

Only the southern section where all the "crowds" are is closed. From Lund north has been open year round for the last two years. ALL the good stuff on the Sunshine Coast is just north of Lund :) Seven marine parks all just north of Lund... dozens and dozens of islands all just north of Lund... warmest ocean water in Canada again just north of Lund...

Okay that might have been a bit of marketing :D

We're actually a little concerned about how many commercial prawn boats we are going to get in the area this year. Last year Nanaimo closed so quickly that most of their boats came up to the Powell River/Lund area and the concern is they may come back this year. In my humble opionion if an area can't sustain a year-round sport fishing industry then there shouldn't BE a commercial industry in that area. Sport fishing benefits many, commercial fishing benefits a very small few...

SIR you have it completely backwards.

The small amount of grounds that DFO closes from fall to March effects very few. Those who are going to prawn at this time have lots of nearby ground to fish. The recreational fishery opens a month before commercial and goes on for 4 months or more afterward.

The commercial prawn fishery benefits many. Millions a year to the BC economy and especially in small towns like yours. Deckhands tuitions, fuel stations, local mechanics and welders, trucking companies, grocery stores, processing plants, and marine stores all appreciate the commercial fishery much more than you.

some narrow minded thinking being done on that island

Here's what I did...

Searched the archives of this forum (tons of info)

bought a chart, found some likely spots based on the info from this forum.

Found the spot, threw down some traps, caught a few prawns... still new at this, i am.

Use the formula, then you are not asking someone to give up something they've worked for, and you just may find an area right under you nose others have missed.

Very best,

Ian

I see my question has generated some intersting dialogue. CA, thanks for rubbing it in on how good the prawning is in your neck of the woods. I come from Campbell River and know how good the norhtern areas can be. I also understand how much time it takes to develop the local knowledge on fishing and hunting. I have put in my time in other areas and would at least be willing to throw a fellow sportsman a bone. Anyway your not obliged to divulge your knowledge, I know the drill and have enough experience to eventually find the little fellas. The challenge is not everyone has lots of time to spend on trial and error. Ian, I think you're right on with your "formula". Thanks everyone for your input.

Ooopps.... I really didn't mean to spark that off....

But I'm still of the opinion that the commercial industry puts more CASH in the hands of a smaller number of people than the VALUE that a healthy sport fishing industry creates for the population at large. Not that they can't co-exist, just that we've seen many examples of where commercial industry and government chasing revenues have lead to stock depletion issues which in turn have had major impacts on the general sportfishing population (read all private citizens).

Fifty years ago no one in Lund EVER went hungry you could walk to the end of the pier and have a salmon or ling cod in under 10 minutes. I am reasonably certain it isn't the sport fishing population that has so radically impacted the salmon and cod stocks on this coast and the cod stocks on the other coast.

Technology and scale of economy have impacted this industry as they have lots of others where more revenue is flowing to a smaller number of people. Fewer fishermen, bigger boats and more technology hence a narrower distribution of the economic value.

The "trickle-down-economics" theory attributed to the commercial industry works for the sport fishing industry as well. I'd be willing to lay a bet that the general population buy more boats, gas and tackle in almost every community in BC than the commercial fleet. The supply chain for the sports fishing industry touches many more "individuals" than the commercial industry. I'm not saying that the commercial fleet doesn't contribute more to the GDP of the province as a whole, just that fewer people see personal economic value from it.

I'm just saying that I want the stocks to be managed such that a private citizen with a sports fishing licence can go out onto the ocean and put food on his/her table year round. When commercial fishing pressure reduces stocks in an area to the point that closures are required to maintain the "commercial" viability of the stocks I personally believe that’s a strong indication that there is a problem with the management plan...

But hey, it's just my lowly personal opinion, from my very narrow mind [xx(]

OMG, Am I narrow minded too[:0]since I totally agree with SIR. Well put and I for one think you hit the nail on the head. Look at when DFO reduced the amount of commercial traps per vessel (in 1995) which made the commercial prawners haul their gear sometimes up to three times a day. It took another 5 years until DFO implemented a single haul fishery for the commercial prawners. Did these 5 years impact our prawn stocks? I think so, hit one source hard for 5 yrs and then look at all the closures now,more than before, even though DFO tends to error on the side of caution which hits the sporties hard.

I forget to mentio that the Lund Hotel is a GREAT place for a cold one and fish and chips or a Lund Burger while your traps soak. And Nancy's Bakery by the marina has cinnamon buns that are so good they should be considered a sin.

But of course then I'd feel compelled to point out that Sevilla Island Resort right across the bay has 15 single malts in their Scotch collection, a well stocked humidor and does a mean gunpowder pumpkin prawn bisque, a rich salmon wellington with grand marnier mushroom sauce and the frangelico chocolate mousse isn't bad either.... if you like that sort of stuff :D

Disclaimer - the poster of this note might in some way be affiliated with the Resort hence have a small bias :D

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Nope, prawning on the Sunshine Coast sucks, everyone stay away!!!

Sorry, have to go shovel the prawns off the front of the island now. They really stink if we don't push them all back into the ocean at least once a week :D

Well i guess you have to know where to prawn because i seem to get between 60-100 on just overnight outings last year:)

Sir, you are right on, I live up north and see what the comercial boats do. It doesn't seem to matter if they go after salmon, halibut or prawns, they reduce the amount left for the sports guys dramatically. The sports boats spent a lot more money in our comunity and we love to seem them.

You simply have to consider what the cost per lb or dollars spent for salmon caught by a commercial fisherman and those caught by sports fisherman.
I`ll bet a lot of people would be shocked to find out how much sports fisherman fork out to the economy for each pound of salmon caught.
It`s not so much the locals who simply drive a few miles, launch their boats and go get a couple 30 lb`ers, it`s mixing in the 700 bucks a day ,plus, that many spend to come fish here.

Back