Prawning area's 28/29

Chasin' Dreams

Anyone find any updates for April 1st 2017 onward for prawning closures in areas 28 and 29 besides the sponge reef closures?
The update maps I had bookmarked from the DFO sights before are no longer working and I see their notices on their pages saying they are still working on updates. Wondering if anyone has made any calls to them or has any new info to add?

Anyone find any updates for April 1st 2017 onward for prawning closures in areas 28 and 29 besides the sponge reef closures?
The update maps I had bookmarked from the DFO sights before are no longer working and I see their notices on their pages saying they are still working on updates. Wondering if anyone has made any calls to them or has any new info to add?

There have been no updates listed for prawns since FN1330 on Dec 2, 2016 which closed 28-5 Jan 1 - March 31, 2017.

If the closure was until March 31st, it should be open. Prawns are not subject to openings, but rather subject to closures. If the closure is no longer in effect, it is therefore open, no?

Hard to say what's going on with DFO regarding this. I've seen guys prawning all over the place prior to April 1st but I wanna hear something or read something from DFO. Gonna go prawning/crabbing in the next couple days so I'll call DFO prior to going. I know we can't drop on the glass sponge reefs that's for sure but it's other area closures I wanna be sure about.

I think only certain subareas of 28/29 are affected by the closure. I have been prawning since late January around Howe Sound. Back in around 1st week of March, there was a plastic notice attached to my float from DFO stating my traps had been inspected and that I need to have clearing marking on my float. I guess the name and my phone number faded a little bit and they didn't like that. If it was closed they would have seized my traps. Hope this helps and happy trapping.

Back