Prawn hauler blows up the fuse

Sorry didn't realize you were a electrical engineer for NASA...…. and yes its a BC sport fishing forum.

sounds like you plugged some info into the blue seas app and now your a self proclaimed electrical wiz..
Well out of the blue he goes off on me & ended-up enjoying the taste of shoe leather IMO.

Bottom line here:the wiring as discussed so far (10/8/4 gauge) is not a safety issue; it is strictly a performance issue - thinner wire has more voltage drop per foot than thicker wire; the result will be less voltage getting to the puller with thinner wire.

This comes directly from the Scotty manual:

For wire run lengths up to 25 feet use minimum 12 Ga. wire, for runs of 25 – 40 feet use 10 Ga. wire. Wire smaller than the recommended gauge will not carry sufficient power to operate your downrigger at its rated speed and power, it will run noticeably slower.

Last edited:
I don't buy the plug/ electrical connection being the issue as many of you are using high power down riggers with 20+ balls. If your not tripping fuses every time it is possible the puller itself has issues.
If they are Scotty DR's they have an internal breaker of 20A, so yeah it could be the puller itself, but if you use a 30A fuse for a device rated at 40A, I'd suspect the under rated fuse first.
FYI in an earlier thread on this subject an Electrician pointed out that electric motors have a surge of current when they first start, and that breakers tolerate this temporary surge better than fuses.

Look at the bottom of this page:
http://scottypaddlesports.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/ChoosingTheRightElectricDR.jpg

Listed are the retrieve rates & associated current draw (measured in Amps) with each model of downrigger pulling various weights of balls. Max current with the HP models is 20 amps & the Marinco plug is rated for 40 amps. As such, from a maximum current amount, there would be no need for an upgraded plug. Of interest is that they have data for the older models pulling a 20# ball.

I had never seen the above info before I researched your question; thank you VERY much.
I had always thought the current draw on the older models was higher than published above.

Back