Prawn Bait

Sharkare in ladysmith and nanaimo sell it in a case of 24 for $13.99 not sure if there is a Sharkare down island or not.

Good to know Chasin' Dreams. Are you sure it is the same product? Carlyle has a lot higher protein content then most other brands. If a person can get it at $.49 that is a good deal.

Well, thanks for that Chasin'Dreams. Sweet deal, it's just prawn bait, so if it's even close to the same, nice savings.

If you guys are using the tuna cat food with prawn pellets in combo here's a tip I find works great. I buy my prawn pellets in the large sacks. I put the sack in the freezer. When the pellets are frozen solid from the deep freeze I run them through a food processor chopper and chop them up into much smaller pieces. Haven't tried chopping them unfrozen cause I think they'll just gum up and clump together. I only mix a small amount of the tuna cat food with the chopped up prawn pellets cause it's mostly used for scent. After mixing it in smaller sized containers that I use for a days prawning I re freeze that together. When I take it out of the freezer on prawning days I squirt some sardine oil on it and toss it around. As it thaws it absorbs the sardine oil. A key tip is to use prawn bait containers that have lot's of the slots on them for small pieces of the bait to make it's way out while the prawns are picking at it. It attracts more and keeps them interested. You can also drill more small holes on the containers to help that even more.
Our relative is a commercial prawner and all they use for bait is the pellets mixed with sardine oil. No fish parts or anything else and he's been prawning for 20 years.

Take notice that when you check your traps the bait pellets take a long time to start breaking down. They more get swollen and pale looking in color but don't break up very well. The chopping of the pellets really helps get the pellets into very small piece sizes that the prawns can get at more easily and also soaks up the tuna and sardine oil scent much better I find.

Excellent tip, now, where to get the best deal on the pellets. LOL
When I get them from my cousin they are free but they sell the large sacks from PNT and there's also a commercial supplier in south van too. I'll try to see where my cousin gets them from and see if they sell to the public too. If so I'll post the info here.

I'm likely headed up to Port Alberni in a week or so, I'll stop and see Rob at the PNT up there. Waiting on the bank to release the funds for my guide boat. lol

The Trading Post (3345 Island Highway) has 25KG (55lbs) prawn bait for $69 Never used their stuff, but have heard good things.

Also, Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo has a NEW Prawn Bait Refill Program! Bring in your own bucket (4L) and get it refilled for only $9.99!

Back