Powerwinch Model 912 - Repairs Needed

GGF

Good Morning. Does anyone know where I might take the captioned Winch in for repairs? Preferably in the Victoria area. The winch retrieves but does not hold the boat in place. It pays out approximately a foot of cable after loading the boat on to the trailer. Thanks.

Yes. I tighten the clutch to retrieve the boat. Engage the switch until the bow meets the rubber bow stop on the trailer. Then when I release the switch lever, the boat drifts back about 8 inches and then another few inches whilst going up the ramp. When it was new it held the bow of the boat snugly against the bow roller. Thanks.

Good Morning. Does anyone know where I might take the captioned Winch in for repairs? Preferably in the Victoria area. The winch retrieves but does not hold the boat in place. It pays out approximately a foot of cable after loading the boat on to the trailer. Thanks.
Got mine fixed at Sherwood Marine...gears were shot. They send it to the dealer in Victoria who fix them
Sorry can't tell you the name of the Dealer.

Unfortunately the nearest service depot for the Powerwinch brand is in Washington. I spoke to Sherwood's. Shipping cost is quite prohibitive. I was hoping someone locally would be able to service/repair.

Yes. I tighten the clutch to retrieve the boat. Engage the switch until the bow meets the rubber bow stop on the trailer. Then when I release the switch lever, the boat drifts back about 8 inches and then another few inches whilst going up the ramp. When it was new it held the bow of the boat snugly against the bow roller. Thanks.

Is the free spool clutch still tight at the point where it wants to roll back out ?

Yes. Clutch is tight and it does not slip while the winch is retrieving. Just when I stop the retrieve. I spoke with Powerwinch tech support today and they believe it is the bearing in the main gear. I have ordered the part. If I have to, I will attempt to dissemble and repair it, if there is no local place available.

Last edited:
Yes. Clutch is tight and it does not slip while the winch is retrieving. Just when I stop the retrieve. I spoke with Powerwinch tech support today and they believe it is the bearing in the main gear. I have ordered the part. If I have to, I will attempt to dissemble and repair it, if there is no local place available.

mine that was fixed at Sherwood was still under warranty just last fall.
I was hoping for a new winch cause they sent it to the supplier...but they fixed it in less than a week and the old gears were in the box.
Good luck with your do it yourself fix.
I found Power Winch to be good to deal with in the past. Needed some set screws as they came out of the slot for the main power and they mailed them to me and did not charge me anything. (on my original one)

Thanks Discus. Message sent to your Inbox.

I think the cause of your problem could be your winch may be under excess pressure when trailering
As the trailer bounces on the road, it causes the bow to move just a little, putting extra pressure on your winch and damaging your gears.
I use a buckle strap attached to the bow of the boat directly down and loosen the winch a little, to lessen the pressure of bounce.
just a thought.

I think the cause of your problem could be your winch may be under excess pressure when trailering
As the trailer bounces on the road, it causes the bow to move just a little, putting extra pressure on your winch and damaging your gears.
I use a buckle strap attached to the bow of the boat directly down and loosen the winch a little, to lessen the pressure of bounce.
just a thought.
Yes I use a stout strap as well and it does indeed prevent any bounce. Powerwinch is sending me a new "120 Gear assembly". They are certain that the clutch bearing in this assembly has failed. I will attempt to install it myself and they offered further phone assistance if needed. Excellent service from them.

Unfortunately I am off to Nootka for a couple of weeks so it will have to wait. Thank you all for your comments.

Last edited:
There used to be an older retired fellow in Esquimalt who did repair work to them. He was set up with machining equipment to resurface clutch pad etc. I service mine each spring and they are easy to work on. Not that many parts...mostly thrust washers and bearing disks. Just stack them on a bench in the order and orientation that you removed so they go back on the same. Replace worn out parts and clean and relube those used again. If the clutch surface is oily or greasy...clean with brake clean and rub it on a piece of sandpaper to take off the glaze. This is an easy job.

I have a couple of power winch's here if you need part's, - i was going to make one out of the two, but not sure if i'm going to get around to it.

Back