power for 12 foot aluminum boat question

I recently aquired a 12 foot harbercraft boat. The boat is rated for 15 hp. Wondering if anybody has run that much power on one of these. I haven't had a tin can for years but it seems to work great when the local tides don't permit me launching my larger boat and is almost easier when heading out to just pull my crab traps. This boat flys along fairly well with my worn out 1973 evinrude 9.5 but that motor has been with me for too long and is soon to be retired. Wondering your opinions on wether to p/u a newer 9.9 or go for a 15? I would like to stay away from a four stoke due to weight but love my four on my main boat as it is dirt cheap to run. Toys are good!

You will be fine with a 15, I've used both and did not notice too much of a difference. I'm speaking Johnsons here. Then theres always the throttle.;) eman

You will be fine with a 15, I've used both and did not notice too much of a difference. I'm speaking Johnsons here. Then theres always the throttle.;) eman

OH...CMON...You know those ratings are conservative. I would stick a 275 Verado on the back! That would do the trick...[^]

OH...CMON...You know those ratings are conservative. I would stick a 275 Verado on the back! That would do the trick...[^]

my boat is 35hp over is rated hp limit (it a f/g boat). and i know of another boat that is almost 50hp over its rated limit. but that one has a custom alum pod and other extras.

my boat is 35hp over is rated hp limit (it a f/g boat). and i know of another boat that is almost 50hp over its rated limit. but that one has a custom alum pod and other extras.

15 hp will be PLENTY for that boat. Top speed will be uncomfortable in most water conditions, but the extra power will be welcome if you've got a passenger.
My boat growing up was a small 14' rated for 20hp. I had a 9.9 that moved it along well with just myself on board (130lb soaking wet as a kid). Add a friend and/or some camping gear and we might of well have been paddling. When I jumped up to the 20 it was a blast :D.

If it was me...I'd go with the 15.

15 hp will be PLENTY for that boat. Top speed will be uncomfortable in most water conditions, but the extra power will be welcome if you've got a passenger.
My boat growing up was a small 14' rated for 20hp. I had a 9.9 that moved it along well with just myself on board (130lb soaking wet as a kid). Add a friend and/or some camping gear and we might of well have been paddling. When I jumped up to the 20 it was a blast :D.

If it was me...I'd go with the 15.

Horsepower ratings are based off a formula on the transom size and length of the boat, not on how the boat is actually built or anything that would really determine what is safe. I've seen 12-foot Sears boats (Aka Leak-A-Flex) rated for 25HP, and I bet I could take 'em apart with scissors. 9.9 and 15HP are both good candidates, but you may want to stick with a 9.9 for the sole reason that you don't have to license that boat. Or, get yourself a 9.9 sticker for your 15hp, that way, it will make the visit from the aqua-cops much less painless as you don't need any paperwork for that rig.

Horsepower ratings are based off a formula on the transom size and length of the boat, not on how the boat is actually built or anything that would really determine what is safe. I've seen 12-foot Sears boats (Aka Leak-A-Flex) rated for 25HP, and I bet I could take 'em apart with scissors. 9.9 and 15HP are both good candidates, but you may want to stick with a 9.9 for the sole reason that you don't have to license that boat. Or, get yourself a 9.9 sticker for your 15hp, that way, it will make the visit from the aqua-cops much less painless as you don't need any paperwork for that rig.

hey westcoast i got a 14 foot aluminum with a 30hp four stoke works great:) im sure you can go bigger than 9.9 on yours[8D]

Thanks for the replies everybody. I decided to retire my old 9.5 evinrude and picked up a newer 9.9 evinrude. Actually a 15 with shiny new 9.9 decals. Wonder who put the wrong decals on the motor? Tee hee. I went with a motor that was a couple years old because of the weight of a four stroke. The boat flies with one person and is respectably quick with two people and two crab traps. I forgot how much fun these boats were. It is nice not to have to worry about the tides as much for launching as the area I live has a nasty thing called the fraser river right beside me that makes anything less than a 6 ft tide impossible to launch as there is just not enough slope at the ramp I use.

The best of both worlds maybe but being addicted to fishing and being on the water has it's costs like sunburns, owning way too many toys and a bad habbit of listening to way too much Jimmy Buffett. Guess it's tough but I'll manage.

Back