Power Consumption

I say this once again, you have way too much time on your hands and now youre starting to annoy me.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

I say this once again, you have way too much time on your hands and now youre starting to annoy me.
First... the time on my hands, is NONE of your business!!! [:I] [:I]

Now regarding... Annoy you? [?][?][?] Then don't read the thread!!!! [B)][B)]
I can't help it if you are or could be mentally challenged and don't understand the concept of a battery or charging system? Kind of saying... you don't have a clue of what you are talking about?? [B)][B)]

But that's okay, I will still "TOW" you in... which is what I am tying to prevent, but in your case, it is just a matter of time! [:0][:0]

YOU... need to find some work? :(:(:(:(

youre right, I had a bad day. By the way, I am a boat mechanic and have been one for quite a while. I do have a good understanding of ohms law and how it relates to marine operating systems.
Does this mean we cant be friends anymore?:(

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

youre right, I had a bad day. By the way, I am a boat mechanic and have been one for quite a while. I do have a good understanding of ohms law and how it relates to marine operating systems.
Does this mean we cant be friends anymore?:(

Yea, we can still be friends! No problems, here! :)
Now I know whom to hail when I am dead in the water out on the banks! But, it won't be do to me</u> running my batteries down! I have had enough dead batteries in my time! :D

All I am trying to do, is keep people from making the same stupid mistakes we have all made in the past, simply because they don't know? I have one friend and I swear I am getting tired of towing him in due to dead batteries! :(

But, since you brought it up and are familiar with Ohm's law. I will try to explain this one more time, using Ohm's law, which I am also familiar with. Ohm's law defines the relationships between (P) power, (E) voltage, (I) current, and (R) resistance. So let's use an example of 2 Scotty Downriggers, VHF Radio (not talking on it), which uses 1.2 Amps, and a Garmin GPS, which uses 15 watts @ 13.8 Volts, Ohm's Law gives me this information: The radio is 1.2 Amps, the Garmin 15 Watts = 13.8 Volts (engine running = 1.08696 Amps, 12.696 Ohms, 15 Watts. Now with engines off, the battery is producing 12.6 Volts which = 1.19048 Amps, 10.584 Ohms. So, the GPS unit is drawing more Amps with engines off, then engines running, simply due to less Volts available, right? The kicker produces 6 Amps so, that gives you a charge of 2.8952 Amps. Have Radar, subtract another 1.667?

Now let's take Ohm's Law and look at a Scotty downriggers, with a 15 pound ball attached, draws 8 Amps (engines running) = 13.8 Volts, 8 Amps, 1.725 Ohms, using 110.4 Watts. Now turn the engines off and see what it looks like = 12.6 Volts, 8.7619 Amps, 1.43804 Ohms. That is figured using the 110.4 Watts. Multiply that X 2 downriggers = 17.5328 Amps. This means one can use the 2 downriggers for just under 10 minutes each hour to maintain the charge; anymore than that or if anything else is turned on, you WILL be discharging the batteries. If the battery switch is in the both position… you WILL be discharging BOTH batteries! How much depends on the use of the downriggers! But, if the downriggers are used for 30 minutes out of each hour, for 10 hours trolling there will be a discharge 58.712 Amps. This is NOT the state of the battery, it is the amount of Amps used!

Now, run in and out with the main engine/engines, so no problem the engine will charge the battery. Figure the alternator produces 40 amps and you run for 30 minutes, best case that will give you 18.8 Amps. Now if you have the switch in both, that would be 2 batteries getting the charge, that is 9.4 Amps, each? Hmmm… and the marina doesn't have "shore power"! It is just a matter of time the batteries will be discharged to the point, they will not be able to start your main!

I really would be turning that selector switch to either #1 or #2 and not on both... and wire the downriggers to your battery selector switch or to a bus, not to the seperate batteries! If you have to, just wire them to one battery and keep the other as your backup. If one runs a battery switch in "both", a portable battery pack or spare battery would be highly recommended, as you will be needing it!</u> [B)]

And with this I am done! If one doesn't get it by now, all I can say is… sooner or later you will be towed in with a dead battery</u>! And, this is one reason I do have have a generator! [8D]

DSC01311-1-2.jpg

Charlie, you scare me.
Too much analysis for a small boat.
But I've never been able to do electrical calculations, so feel free to comment.
I run one battery.
One VHF, one depth sounder, two scotty electrics.
Troll with a Yamaha 8hp putting out 6 amps (I believe).
Never had a problem, don't expect to.
From your data I think I should be worried?

quote:Originally posted by Time

Charlie, you scare me.
Too much analysis for a small boat.
But I've never been able to do electrical calculations, so feel free to comment.
I run one battery.
One VHF, one depth sounder, two scotty electrics.
Troll with a Yamaha 8hp putting out 6 amps (I believe).
Note my purpose to scare, but rather inform!

If you do extended trips off shore without availability of charging your battery after each trip? And, if you run the downriggers a lot... I hope you have a "pull start" on your main and I hope you know where the "pull start cord" is, you will be needing it one day! :(

BTW, I have pull started many a single engines in my days! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Time

It's a matter of time, Time [:p]

If you're always in close to shore and near other boats you can call to...no big deal. If you ever venture out (to Swiftsure or even Constance Bank), you're taking a risk.

One of the other practices I've gotten into while fishing offshore is to always leave one engine running -- and to start the second engine before shutting off the first. That way I know there is power available to get me home.

TenMile
&lt;'((((&gt;&lt;

Hey Skeeter, up here in Canada we got these things called Gensets and they are getting smaller and more powerful. Wouldn't that be the way to go?

[quote
If you're always in close to shore and near other boats you can call to...no big deal. If you ever venture out (to Swiftsure or even Constance Bank), you're taking a risk.

One of the other practices I've gotten into while fishing offshore is to always leave one engine running -- and to start the second engine before shutting off the first. That way I know there is power available to get me home.

TenMile
&lt;'((((&gt;&lt;
[/quote]

Gotta agree with you TenMile, although I always assumed that it was standard practice to not shut off your first engine until the second engine has started and warmed up. Doing it that way has always been the case for me.

I guess my point was that I was getting lost in the ampere, ohm, voltage, battery switch equations despite my best efforts to follow the reasoning.
As I said, I've never had a problem nor do I expect one. Short of a
total battery failure, which, while possible, I consider unlikely, I think there is a little bit too much redundancy being promoted. (Of course, I also have aboard a jumper battery kit - I try not to be foolish.;))

Good discussion.

Great topic...a little beyond my boat tho I would suggest what I've got is a far more 'typical' boat than Charlie runs but interesting nonetheless. I've YET to have a battery issue (running stereo, two Scotties which go up and down a LOT, Lowrance gps/sounder, Garmin GPS, and a VHF) but things can happen even with the best laid plans. Dual batteries and actually using the battery selector switch</u> is a great start. I've also got an electric/manual start on the kicker so SHOULD I do something silly and kill the batteries I can start up the kicker and charge. I've been on a rig with dead batteries (long night on the wobbly pops) and the batteries were dead in the am. It didn't take long with the manual start kicker to get enough juice in the batteries to get the main up and running.

Back