Potential Marine Fishing Closures for SARA Steelhead

I have caught a steelhead, area 29, off the bell buoy. I believe it was late August or early September. As a very experienced in river steelhead Fisher, I am 100% in my identification, but could imagine the majority of marine rec anglers not recognizing what they have. It was not very large, maybe 6 or 7 pounds, so not likely a Thompson fish, but the chance is not insignificant...the overall threat is though.

Having said that, ignoring the very real threat of in river gillnet (both commercial and FSC) as well as mixed stock marine fisheries is a joke.

Everyone here was invited to a webinar about this issue I recapped it a bit here. The consensus is these closures will not happen, They will not be listed. SARA is apparently giving the same presentation to SFAB december 1 in person If i remember correctly.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...m-nov-7-on-thompson-steelhead-with-dfo.72397/
I met Chris Boas and another fellow on the ferry after a meeting in Vancouver a little over a year ago. I asked them about the closure and restriction rumors I had been hearing. Not going to happen was their answer. We'll the closures happened and then some, not the way I had heard, but just as bad. I now take all of this at face value, because the old rules don't seem to apply anymore, and shut it down seems to be the management method of choice.

I now take all of this at face value, because the old rules don't seem to apply anymore, and shut it down seems to be the management method of choice.

They will not be listed for the same reason cultus lake sockeye were never listed (social and economic). Under a do not list there will still be closures for rec fishing in the river, similar to the closures we saw this year but they will not extend that far out into the ocean.

The 60 day closure window under a listing would extend into Sockeye, Chum and Pink season.

They would be forced to shut down all fishing because under a listing it is prohibited to:

upload_2018-11-14_8-44-7.png

They actually can't even conduct test fisheries unless they apply for a special permit. FSC fisheries are also prohibited. There is a clause in Sara that allows FSC fisheries to take place under a listing (SARA sec 83 (5) for FSC). However the Sara team said their is not enough IFS steelhead left to grant an exemption for FSC fisheries. EVERYTHING WOULD BE CLOSED.

Its kinda sad by making the impacts so broad they almost guarantee that they will not be listed under SARA.

They have NEVER listed any fish for the the reason noted.

Therefore one knowing this could guess that they will NEVER list any.

It then becomes a threat that will never happen.

They will not be listed for the same reason cultus lake sockeye were never listed (social and economic). Under a do not list there will still be closures for rec fishing in the river, similar to the closures we saw this year but they will not extend that far out into the ocean.

The 60 day closure window under a listing would extend into Sockeye, Chum and Pink season.

They would be forced to shut down all fishing because under a listing it is prohibited to:

View attachment 41400

They actually can't even conduct test fisheries unless they apply for a special permit. FSC fisheries are also prohibited. There is a clause in Sara that allows FSC fisheries to take place under a listing (SARA sec 83 (5) for FSC). However the Sara team said their is not enough IFS steelhead left to grant an exemption for FSC fisheries. EVERYTHING WOULD BE CLOSED.

Its kinda sad by making the impacts so broad they almost guarantee that they will not be listed under SARA.

They have NEVER listed any fish for the the reason noted.

Therefore one knowing this could guess that they will NEVER list any.

It then becomes a threat that will never happen.
I thought the same about La Perouse being Critical Habitat - said many times there are no killer whales out there - how on earth can DFO find a scientist who will say that it is critical habitat. Here were are...never, say never.

Well as I heard that from a DFO representative last night and it has been said on the SARA discussion. So it seems pretty good information.

As to Whale closures, that is a totally different thing.
Pretty sure that was discussed in Ottawa this summer with the Greens.

I thought the same about La Perouse being Critical Habitat - said many times there are no killer whales out there - how on earth can DFO find a scientist who will say that it is critical habitat. Here were are...never, say never.

Back