possible bad rod?

cedarman

Hey all my cousin bought a Shimano 10' 6" rod with a gt4000 reel. He has had this rod for two years and I have had it on my boat three times. We have never had a fish on this rod. Not even a nite. We went out for Vancouver Sox yesterday I had my limit in 2 hours and he did not have a bite. Same gear at the same depth. Has any one heard of a rod like this? Is it something to do with the action or the line on the reel?

Please help....

boat-2.jpg

Sounds like you guys believe it's jinxed ?
the fishing rod/reel is not the problem, but it may be the terminal gear.
also may want to check voltage on downrigger lines if using cable ?

throw it in the ocean!:)

...never heard of a 'bad' rod, but I did lose my new hali rod to a guide in Bamfield that apparently believes in 'good' rods.

I have a Daiwa rod like that-never produces a damned thing.

If it wasn't so expensive I would have thrown it out long ago-I'm just looking for someone to dump it on. ;)

For $500 I can preform a ceremony that will chase away the bad fish gods from that rod and reel. Or I'll give you $5.00 and take off your hands.

when the fishings good and only one side of the boat is catching fish , switch sides with the good rod. like r.s said could be bad voltage. i`ve even heard kicker motors can cause a bad side on a boat!

tight lines

The rod needs to be 'punished' and reminded how lucky it is to be a fishing rod and not a porta-pottie. I am all for a fish blood bath and a dunking.

I'd also change out the line and have someone else rig the gear as, I hate to say it but...maybe whomever is rigging the rod just stinks to the fish

quote:Originally posted by profisher

For $500 I can preform a ceremony that will chase away the bad fish gods from that rod and reel. Or I'll give you $5.00 and take off your hands.
LOL :D
Try rubbing it with a little fish slime next time?
Need to break the curse [}:)]

Definitely sounds like this rod has bad jube jube. Flog it off on Craigslist as soon as possible. I wouldn't even let the rod near my boat for fear the bad luck will rub off on it.

Where did your buddy buy this rod? A buddy of mine made the mistake of buying a rod at the wake of another buddy from the widow. This was a serious mistake and he has regretted it ever since. Definitely some rods are cursed.

Same thing goes for buddies I just won't take out on my boat. You know the ones I'm talking about. Everytime you take them out something bad happens. Either engine problems or a broken rod or some such thing happens. After a few trips like that you know maybe they're better left on shore. Superstition maybe, but on the water you can never be too careful. There's no fire dept to call when your boat burtsts into flames on the water.

you guys may be right it may not be the rod but in fact be my cousin....Let me see the last few times I have had him on my boat I have had a storm almost sink us, lost an engine :(, broke a rod and now caught no sox's....hmmmm I may have to cut him off....

boat-2.jpg

So I have to post a update.

I went out last night to try my luck on the sox. I decided to put the "bad rod" in the water. What do you know but 30 sec in I have a fish in the box. I guess the rod was not as bad as my cousin.

I should listen to his wife when she says that he is bad luck!!

boat-2.jpg

So you can forget the cleansing ceremony for the rod, but you better remove the curse from the cousin:D:D:D

Too much water, too little time

quote:Originally posted by Degree of Freedom

throw it in the ocean!:)

...never heard of a 'bad' rod, but I did lose my new hali rod to a guide in Bamfield that apparently believes in 'good' rods.

Let me guess... Osama?

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by profisher

I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure you could punish that rod real good. :D

So the wife also has issues with your cousin's good-for-nothing rod? She should know? [8D]

Maybe we need a thread about fishing karma gone wrong, curses, superstitions, or just lousy fishing mojo stories. [8D]

I have never felt the urge nor the need to punish my fishing gear, but there is indeed one friend who I just can't fish with anymore. One time I asked this friend to take the helm (main motor running and in gear) while I start the kicker. So he takes the helm and decides to yak with a guy in another boat who had caught a big fish. Bad idea. The next thing I know my boat side-swipes the other boat ...which instantly sends one of its down-riggers to the bottom of the ocean. [:0] It took me a while to get my mojo back after that.[}:)]

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

So the wife also has issues with your cousin's good-for-nothing rod? She should know? [8D]

Maybe we need a thread about fishing karma gone wrong, curses, superstitions, or just lousy fishing mojo stories. [8D]

I have never felt the urge nor the need to punish my fishing gear, but there is indeed one friend who I just can't fish with anymore. One time I asked this friend to take the helm (main motor running and in gear) while I start the kicker. So he takes the helm and decides to yak with a guy in another boat who had caught a big fish. Bad idea. The next thing I know my boat side-swipes the other boat ...which instantly sends one of its down-riggers to the bottom of the ocean. [:0] It took me a while to get my mojo back after that.[}:)]

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

WOW red monster that is a crazy story. Who paid for the rigger?

I did not know that Osama was like that.. lol Although he is really afraid of whale :D

boat-2.jpg

Back