> > As promised, an update on the SFAB South Coast meeting, and particular
> > focus on Chinook.
> >
> > DFO provided a brief update on the forecast for this season. The run was
> > downgraded following further analysis of the 2012 data. We did not get to
> > see the modelling information, but were told the forecast was delayed
> > basically because there was not the DFO staffing resources to complete the
> > data analysis in the usual timeframe (early January). May be an
> > opportunity for us to help by lobbying for more staff resources.
> >
> > Our experience with the DFO Chinook modelling is they are generally fairly
> > close to the actual run in their forecasting. At this point the predicted
> > terminal run is 16,700. Meaning the expected return to the river. As you
> > may recall from prior years, we have always worked to a required run of
> > 20,000 fish to the river to satisfy the hatchery needs for spawners.
> > Closer analysis of the age composition of the returning adults shows there
> > could be enough age 5 females (large egg fecundity) to allow fewer adults
> > returning to the river, and still produce enough fry at the hatchery to
> > meet escapement needs. The hatchery is responsible for 90% of all
> > returning spawners - meaning there is virtually no wild production.
> >
> > So basically we are forecast to have a run under the required escapement,
> > which normally means complete closure. We think with those age 5 females
> > there is a good possibility to advance a position to keep the season open
> > but restricted to only small fish under 77 cm which normally are not
> > spawning females, therefore do not contribute to our hatchery escapement
> > needs.
> >
> > There will be further discussion at the Area 23 Harvest Round Table next
> > week. David and Bob will be attending, and plan to take this position
> > forward. We should have a good idea what position the other parties
> > (Commercial and First Nations) will take following this meeting. So
> > potential at risk for our fishery could be:
> >
> > 1. Complete closure (FN pressing for this)
> > 2. Slot limits both inside Barkley Sound and the Alberni Canal (2 Chinook
> > under 77 cm)
> > 3. Potential for Area 123/124/125 off shore slot limits - however this
> > would trigger impacts to Area G and F Commercial Troll
> > 4. Area and time closures
> >
> > This is the same situation for most WCVI streams, so we can anticipate
> > similar problems in Nootka and other fisheries.
> >
> > The good news is there should be fairly normal returns to the US rivers so
> > the early season (May to early August) off shore should be OK. The only
> > potential impact could be imposition of slot limits to attempt to get more
> > of the WCVI Chinook returning to the rivers. What will be impacted for
> > certain will be the surf line fisheries.
> >
> > Next steps. We are holding a WCFGA membership meeting Wednesday April 24
> > at 7 p.m. at the Kin Hut in Port Alberni. David and Bob will be able to
> > update on how the Area 23 Harvest Round Table meetings progressed. We
> > will need to provide direction to them as to our negotiating position
> > going forward.
> >
> > This is an important opportunity for you to have input, and provide our
> > Executive with direction as to how you want this issue handled.
> >
> > Please ensure you call all your WCFGA friends to encourage them to attend
> > this meeting.

Seems that netting everything that gets into the river has taken its toll. Seiners sitting at the mouth of the river also have done their damage.
It would not be right to make Barley sound have a slot size since a large number of those fish are returning to US rivers.
I wonder what will happen to the derby?

Feel sorry for you guys, we have been dealing with these slot closures on the south coast for the last 5 years.
It's pretty much terminated the Juan-de-fuca derby.

It's a mismanaged artificial run. I don't see the value of so heavily protecting it, considering DFO has allowed such overfishing in the past.

I wouldn't be complaining much I read the whole post it sounds like DFO wants at least 20,000 fish but is expecting less then 17,000 and they are still trying to find a way to keep it open. What I mean is don't complain about the slot that's not your enemy if your complaining about mis management go right ahead I am too and this is our problem.

We're just ****** everywhere aren't we? Why doesn't our provincial government care about the state of the fishery? Why are they not pressing the federal government to make a decision and either manage the fishery properly or give it up to the province. The Feds don't feel the pain when our fisheries tank but the province does especially at the local community level.

What we need is a coalition that's going to get every community that is or was once a fishing town to band together and start fighting for real. This seems to be going down hill faster then ever for almost all species of fish.

I've seen the First Nations in action in that river for sockeye and I'd be surprised if many fish make it past. Does the 16,000 predicted fish include the ones that are netted or are those taken off the 16,000? I don't blame the FN they learned about greed from us but its time to get serious about tightly regulating them and changing the way they fish. Easier said then done though when the Supreme Court says they can do whatever they want. I guess the change has to start all the way at the top.

I've yet to see a political party whose agenda is to amend the charter. There is a section that says all Canadians are to be treated equal but then there is a little loop hole that's says besides rules designed to assist First Nations (or maybe it's minorities I forget the exact wording).

My solution is give the FN's the ENTIRE commercial fishery in exchange for them getting out of the rivers aside from maybe purely traditional fisheries that follow the same daily and annual limits as a rec angler on the river.

It's a mismanaged artificial run. I don't see the value of so heavily protecting it, considering DFO has allowed such overfishing in the past.

What should we do Kelly fish it all out?

It's only an artificial run because of mis management it used to be an amazing population of wild fish. IMO we need to protect everything that's left artificial or wild once we lose the run its never coming back DFO would love to say we fished it out and shut down the stamp hatchery.

What should we do Kelly fish it all out?

It's only an artificial run because of mis management it used to be an amazing population of wild fish. IMO we need to protect everything that's left artificial or wild once we lose the run its never coming back DFO would love to say we fished it out and shut down the stamp hatchery.

Ideally they would have managed it properly 3,4 and 5 years ago and increased hatchery output. I think now the best option is keep the sound open with normal regs and close the inlet for the time being. This is because the Robertson Creek fish only make up a fraction of Barkley fish but almost the entire inlet fishery. If the run gets upgraded in season and it looks like escapement will be met then they can reopen it in the inlet. Not an ideal scenario by any means but because it's not a spawning wild population I think they can afford to try and keep a fishery open.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the Stamp system has never had large salmon returns pre hatchery. That amazing wild population was just larger hatchery output in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The systems not very conducive pre enhancement to wild spawning with the falls and limited spawning beds.

Be very afraid. And if you don't have a rig that can run out to the highway, get ready to target feeders. Swiftsure Bank fish, which are not area 123 but close enough are around %50 wild. Inshore fish (Carmanah Point Fish right through to 10 mile point) in July-Sept, are generally wild fish.

The writing is on the wall here...

1. Complete closure (FN pressing for this)
> > 2. Slot limits both inside Barkley Sound and the Alberni Canal (2 Chinook
> > under 77 cm)
> > 3. Potential for Area 123/124/125 off shore slot limits - however this
> > would trigger impacts to Area G and F Commercial Troll
> > 4. Area and time closures

Any word on when this might take effect? The Stamp fish normally start showing up early Aug?

If the FN want everything closed, I would sure hope that would mean getting their nets and jiggers out of the river too.

Last year the FN overfished their allocation by over 400%

FN WILL NOT be going to be shut down this is one of the reason SVIAC was created to fight for the south island and beyond !!!! I warned you all this was going to "WEB OUT" and people take the approach ahh its ok its not in my backyard well guess what its coming all your way!!!! next will be campbell river south I bet my life saving on it.
we have to fight this now and if you sit on your hands and wait well thats your choice isnt it but dont ***** on here you were not warned it was coming....

FED up Wolf

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the Stamp system has never had large salmon returns pre hatchery. That amazing wild population was just larger hatchery output in the 70's, 80's and 90's. The systems not very conducive pre enhancement to wild spawning with the falls and limited spawning beds.

You are not wrong.

Sad thing is, if we get the slot and have to release fish all season what will happen is DFO will say late August " we have enough chinook for a commie opening"
So all the fish the rec sector has released will be harvested by the commies and FN's anyways.
I am all for conservation of the stocks by ALL sectors.

The writing is on the wall... The future for recreational angling on Vancouver Island looks grim... If we who care don't do something to change this ASAP it will only get worse... It is obvious that the Prov. & especially Fed. Govt. and especially the DFO care little about improving the situation... SO, if there ever was a time for all citizens who care about our iconic wild salmon and the many social, cultural, economic and environmental benefits they bring to act IT IS NOW!

Contact your BC MLA and your Fed. MP, and tell them you want them to do something to promote wild salmon populations!
http://www.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=current
http://www.leg.bc.ca/mla/3-1-1.htm

Join existing groups and organizations that promote wild salmon and angling access (e.g. SVIAC, SFI-BC, BCWF, PSF, etc.) and volunteer some of our time to change this serious situation before it is too late!
http://anglerscoalition.com/
http://www.sportfishing.bc.ca/
http://www.bcwf.bc.ca/
http://www.psf.ca/

IT IS TIME FOR US WHO CARE TO STOP TALKING AND NAVEL GAZING ABOUT THE FUTURE AND START COMING TOGETHER TO BE A POWERFUL FORCE TO BRING ABOUT CHANGE!

THE TIME TO ACT IS NOW!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Been saying this for years Whole but people like to sit on there hands and have the wait and see approach think of all of the people that hold a sportfishing lic. if all of us went to a meeting with DFO in a room they wouldnt do what they door bombard there office and MPS offices with letters of dis concern imagine 200 plus letters a day showing up in there offices, sooner or later they would get the message .... but no we got people bitching on here about a name ... REALLY thats the least of our worries.....

Wolf

Back