Possible Alternative to Enbridge & Keystone

IronNoggin

"The movement to ship Alberta bitumen to Canada’s eastern provinces is gathering momentum as plans to build the Gateway and Keystone lines languish in political limbo.

Major industry players, politicians and high-profile advocates are starting to pay serious attention to the idea, which could see bitumen piped from the oilsands through Ontario, Quebec and eventually to ports on the East Coast."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news...bo+pipeline+advocates+turn/6653222/story.html

Thoughts??

Wondering...
Nog

I think it is a great idea, would open up a different domestic market. Would create more construction jobs and the refineries that are being mothballed could be re-designed to handle heavy oil and develop a Canadian product.

I think it is a great idea, would open up a different domestic market. Would create more construction jobs and the refineries that are being mothballed could be re-designed to handle heavy oil and develop a Canadian product.

Seems a lot smarter than the NGP project. An inevitable spill on land is much easier to handle than on our coast.
Canada / China = energy security for us; improved balance in trade; manufacturing revival: plastics, etc.; Canadian resource control and the other things G.S. notes. 'Way better.

You gotta wonder why Harper and crew are not wildly enthusiastic about this idea. It provides Alberta with a bigger market for it's oil and Ontario with a greater opportunity for job creation. Keeps the money in Canada. Seems like a win/win for everybody.

Oh wait a moment - what's in it for the Chinese who have dumped billions into the oily sands? Nada, that's what. Guess we'll find out who really is running this show - Canada or China.

For the longest time Ontario was the center of the world, during that time Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia were off the map to them. History has not been nice and now for many Oilmen it is payback time.

The Oilsands are not going anywhere nothing wrong with slowing things down a bit sending it back east and refine it into value added gas and sell it for higher profits and increased tax revenues for the public good

It would definitely help Ontario dig it's way out of the hole they are in now.

Are you kidding me??? Just a matter of time before both pipelines are built to our coast.The one down south as well. China and the U.S.A have invested billions into the Alberta oilsands.They already been laying pipe down for the Gateway project.Lots of land has been cleared for the Keystone project and Texan refineries have been refit to handle heavy crude.The Kinder Morgan people have been conducting information meetings for residents involved,I recieved my notice in the mail.The pipeliners are licking thier chops for all the upcoming work.Just a matter of time before all three projects are green lighted.

I like the idea of TRUCKING and RAIL these toxic products all over the planet. Much better chance of nothing happening with the fine conditions of our roads and bridges. Not to mention the high standard the trucking industry keeps their fleet.

We probably could but for our appetite for these kinds of fuels.

the best idea would be to leave this most polluting source of energy in the ground.

the best idea would be to leave this most polluting source of energy in the ground.

Enjoy your shore fishing. I definitely don't have the perfect solution, but until we're all willing to give up all the things petroleum products provide us, there is no chance of permanently stopping these projects.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

believe it or not, the US is exporting more petrolium products than it imports right now. from what i have read, they are now able to extract more oil from fields that they thought were tapped out. there would appear to be no shortage of petrolium products only the usual greed by those in the industry. no need for the alberta product and no need for the folks in BC to pass off the inherent problems to their neighbors to the east.

no need for the alberta product......

reelfast, I definitely don't know the best solution and I'm not trying to start an argument but, many people depend on the oilsands, either directly or indirectly, for their incomes. They would likely disagree with you on whether or not there is a need for the Alberta product.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be fishing.

many more people and other animals depend on our wild salmon and shellfish either directly or indirectly for food. take it out slowly and keep it local.

You are short on you math, the USA is using more than it produces. It has the world's biggest appetite for fossil fuels so you can leave the dirty fuel in the Bakken layer and we will suck it up in Canada and sell it to you at bargain basement prices. You are sounding more like Paul Watson every time you blow smoke rings out you arse. I use to take you seriously but I am really beginning to wonder what cloud you are floating on.

believe it or not, the US is exporting more petrolium products than it imports right now. from what i have read, they are now able to extract more oil from fields that they thought were tapped out. there would appear to be no shortage of petrolium products only the usual greed by those in the industry. no need for the alberta product and no need for the folks in BC to pass off the inherent problems to their neighbors to the east.

well gunsmith, i read quite a bit down this way. smoke rings? if you want to keep your head in the oil sands go right ahead. yeppers, we are exporting more refined petroleum product that we are consuming, a fact. another interesting article highlighted the impact that raising the fuel economy of all vehicles will have, and is having, on consumption, just another way to break the ties to the middle east.

i understand what you are saying high velocity, i am sure there are limited opportunities for earning an income up that way but i have to disagree with that as an excuse to contribute a significant pollutant to our environment. i can remember the coastal timber industies folding up shop. they wanted to blame the spotted owl for their miseries when the actual problem was overharvest over an extended period of time. folks too close to any industry have a hard time stepping back and seeing their personal impacts on our worlds environment particularly when it directly affects their way of living.

Reelfast you always point at OILSANDS but you deliberately ignore the coal, this is the dirtiest fuel available and the USA is shipping it out and burning it like there is no tomorrow. Your choice to ignore this and focus on our mess here is more or less a slap in the face. I do not want to ship this out it is your country that is buying it at a lower price , refining it and selling it. End of the line is that we will keep on digging this as long there are FOOLS around to buy it. Stop buying it and we will not need to produce it for your businesses. In the meantime you are not producing enough hot air to fill my sails so I will fire up my outboards and go fishing.
Every time a light is turned on in the USA there is 40% of that power is supplied by burning coal.

well gunsmith, i read quite a bit down this way. smoke rings? if you want to keep your head in the oil sands go right ahead. yeppers, we are exporting more refined petroleum product that we are consuming, a fact. another interesting article highlighted the impact that raising the fuel economy of all vehicles will have, and is having, on consumption, just another way to break the ties to the middle east.

i understand what you are saying high velocity, i am sure there are limited opportunities for earning an income up that way but i have to disagree with that as an excuse to contribute a significant pollutant to our environment. i can remember the coastal timber industies folding up shop. they wanted to blame the spotted owl for their miseries when the actual problem was overharvest over an extended period of time. folks too close to any industry have a hard time stepping back and seeing their personal impacts on our worlds environment particularly when it directly affects their way of living.

reelfast, first let me state that my income is not directly tied to the oilsands, but it does come from the energy sector. I operate natural gas wells in western Alberta. I do agree that we shouldn't be destroying the environment just for a few jobs, but the oilsands is far more than just a few jobs. Because of the huge financial benefits to people across Canada, I doubt you will ever see the numerous oilsand operations shut down. If that ever did happen, the ripples would be felt across the country. For this reason, the companies that own/run these operations must continually strive to improve their environmental performance - either voluntarily or by force. Many companies are already working on much cleaner ways to extract the bitumen.
I'm not much different than you in that I don't want to see our environment severally damaged or destroyed, but I'm also a realist. Our appetite for petroleum products is not getting smaller and neither is our appetite for a better standard of living, which seems to leave us with one choice - find safer and cleaner ways to use these resources.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

Back