Port Renfrew From Victoria

cby

Ok, From Victoria to Port Renfrew do most fisherman trailering their boat, do you go Sooke way or Malahat, lake Cowichan way?

Yesterday I went to Renfrew 1st time this year. Road going was ok a few bumps here and there. My god coming home the 20-25 km out of Renfrew was horrendous!

I also did not see any other trailers going or coming and there was like 900 boats at Renfrew so does everyone go the long route because the road is so crappy!!

Asking for a friend! Lol.

Any insight to this would be great! Since I can't go to Disneyland and 6 flags and the roller coasters I guess port renfrew road from sooke is great during Covid 19 for my thrills! Geez Louise!

The road through Cowichan is definitely better. I have never bothered to trailer my boat that way though, it's an extra 2-3 hours from Victoria area. The coastal route is not that bad if you just drive really slow. I could drive fast the other way, or slow through Sooke... still much faster to go through sooke.

2-3 hours extra to go through lake cow? Let's be real.......it's not a 2-3 hour drive period never mind 2-3 hours more

Reactions: cby
2-3 hours extra to go through lake cow? Let's be real.......it's not a 2-3 hour drive period never mind 2-3 hours more
K. Google maps shows 1 hour 45 minutes driving the Sooke way doing the speed limit from my house. I live by uptown. But towing one may not be able to drive the speed limit the whole time due to the condition of the road.
Or 2 hours 50 minutes driving to Cowichan Lake then driving to Renfrew. So it would add roughly an hour drive time but one could drive faster than speed limit a bit to drop the time.
Might be a wash either way time wise.

Same as MadJigga. Extra 1/2 hour or 45Kms from my place, I always go Sooke way. Only because I'm old and that's was the only way to go back then. Driven the other way many times just not with the boat.

Ok so google maps says 37 minute difference from my place that does include road conditions that's just speed limit.

Going I pretty much did bang on time minus some small stretches. Google maps says 1:53 I did it in 2:05, but coming home was like almost 3 hrs with traffic, road out of renfrew.

So maybe you go to Renfrew from Sooke and come home Cowichan.

Can anyone give an update on the Cowichan Lake road to Renfrew? I have not done it for a few years? I can't remember if it's paved all the way or oiled ground solid, less gravel? Updates?

Also how far is it from Sooke harbour Prestige Launch to East Point? On a flat calm day today, with no wind, big edd tide going and flood coming home. How far kms on water is it. Its 76 km from Prestige by road to Renfrew?

Any one done the boat run? Any issues or things to look out for or its it a pretty straight shot, just watching weather and tide flow?

Speed over ground Kms my boat at cruise does 37-41 km per hour. For best burn rate of fuel.

Is Sheringham about the half way point to East point?

I trailered my 20’ trophy behind my duramax out to Renfrew and back a few weeks ago. The road is ****, took me roughly 2 hours each way from colwood. But I’d still take the Sooke route over the malahat/Cowichan route. Just give yourself extra time and take it easy.

Never made the run via JDF in the boat, but as with anywhere...weather can change real quick.

I thought about towing my boat out to PR many times and recently again. But having done the trip a couple weeks ago without a trailer I am steadfast now in not doing it. You'd have to weld your boat to the trailer to not lose it off your trailer. Horrible road. Only way I'll
take my boat there is via water.

Also how far is it from Sooke harbour Prestige Launch to East Point? On a flat calm day today, with no wind, big edd tide going and flood coming home. How far kms on water is it. Its 76 km from Prestige by road to Renfrew?

Speed over ground Kms my boat at cruise does 37-41 km per hour. For best burn rate of fuel.

Is Sheringham about the half way point to East point?

38.4 miles. Can be nasty weather and fog.

2020-08-23.png

Last year I travelled in my 18 foot Hourston from Sooke to Port Renfrew, fished the day, and came back, all by boat. It was a warm and flat calm day. Easy both directions in those conditions. I seem to recall averaging about 18 knots to keep the fuel consumption down. Beautiful and very easy trip. Was worth it too, caught a beautiful spring.

38.4 miles. Can be nasty weather and fog.

View attachment 56233

Thanks Tubber, looks further by water than I thought. Thanks for the map. Thanks for all the info guys. I guess Sooke way it is. Slow and Steady for those last 25 km in and out of Port Renfrew.

I guess I will have to drive the cowichan way at some point. But Yes Victoria to Port Renfrew definitely Short in time and km's even if you take your time, just road is crappy. You would think they would fix this road a little better than it is.

Anyway all good, Thanks.

On the Sooke route they have red road markers were the dips are in the road to slow down. Yes you need to tie your boat down really good and i used to take my kicker off for the trip..

You would think they would fix this road a little better than it is.
Lol. It use to be gravel from Jordon River in. Single lane bridges. Every time they make it better more people come and the worse it is for fishing. When I first started going there we never even went past Owen or East point. Never had too.

"Lol. It use to be gravel from Jordon River in. Single lane bridges. Every time they make it better more people come and the worse it is for fishing. When I first started going there we never even went past Owen or East point. Never had too."
Yup,remember those days,I had a triple header cut plugging at Owen Point,all 28-30 Lbs.I've made the trip by water many times,it was usually 2 hours from Vic Harbour on way up and 1 1/2 Hrs. on the way back in good conditions.

I take Sooke both ways and take my time. Budget 2-2.5 hours. Cowichan is fine but you can get stuck in worse traffic coming back on the Malahat if you are travelling back on a Sunday after busy weekend.

Back