Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

The same correction as for the Slingsby area??? That is a long way from there. If you are looking for Nahwitti, use Cape Scott.

Cheers

SS

OK, Gentlemen--thanks for that, though it's interesting to me that some of the tide predictions stated for Egg and those stated for Pt Hardy are exactly the same, and some show variations of up to 25 minutes

Got back from Telegraph Cove wednesday afternoon. Had a great time! The fishing wasn't spectacular but we got some fish and the weather was fantastic for our stay. Saw lots of wildlife as well. The early morning bite on the backside of Malcolm island produced the most fish for us. The rest of the day proved to be tough fishing. Averaged only about three salmon a day. Picked the odd one at Craycroft in the afternoons. Glow hoochies and anchovies proved to be the ticket. We tried for halibut around malcolm island and even ventured all the way out to Georges Bank but did not get a sniff.

This is my third attempt at posting WH report. Fished 18 -20 Jul. Started every morn 2 hours after QRL . Only caught 3 springs, possession limit of cohoes, and only 1 hali each. We were going to get our last halis wed morn at slack tide, but strong wind and driving rain chased just about everone of the deep water. So much for the 1 a day hali. Found that the cohoes seem a bit smaller then past years ? Left WH after lunch and clean up, and arrived home at 1730hrs,20 Jul.................BB

You know BB the lack of Springs doesn't surprise me-I know we did well the 3 times we were there-but we had perfect weather and never got kicked off at any time. I thought it was very spotty for Springs but the lack of fish on the hi-way was perplexing. Five years ago or so the springs were out extremly far in 5-600 ft of water- I hope that is not the case this year-i hate chasing them out that far-wastes a whole morning if they aren't there. Anything at Cliffe? Thanks

I anticipate that'll change this weekend coming up with the derby in quatsino.

Did you just fish cliffe? Or did you check kains or lippy?

I fish from port alice so we ran out to cliff and worked our way back. We stopped at mahatta but there were only a few small springs there. Next stop was pender point where we landed a nice 18 lber. But your right it should get more busy soon I did see a lot of boats heading north while I was heading south.

Got back from my Wed night through Sunday morning trip off of telegraph cove....We stayed in a cabin in Baronets and fished primarily the wall in that area. 5 guys two boats, we fished both high tides each morning and night. The first wed night and thursday morning tides were dead...Things picked up Thursday night, and over the next 3 days. We did most of our damage in the evening tide..We usually fished from 3-4 before and about 1 hour after high tide. We did well bringing back 17 chinook alot in the 14-18lb range and 5 that were 23.5lbs, 24, 26, 26.5, and 27lbs....We also snagged a few pinks our 5 Coho and a 15 lb halibut. It was a great trip but most days it seemed our two boats got more than most, little bit lucky I would say as the fishing overall is still a bit spotty....Bring bait and stick with it in my opinion as it caught everything for us. All in all our totals were 17 chinook caught out of 24-25 attempts.

burnsy22

burnsy22

burnsy22

burnsy22

***can't get the pics to show up directly...here are the links.

http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/burnsy22/?action=view&current=DSC02111.jpg
http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/burnsy22/?action=view&current=DSC02112.jpg
http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/burnsy22/?action=view&current=DSC02116.jpg
http://s1123.photobucket.com/albums/l543/burnsy22/?action=view&current=DSC02109.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I know those cabins so well...as soon as i saw the dock I knew it was those! Glad to see they revamped them a bit...when my dad guided out of that area all our guests and us would stay on them, and when I was 5 or 6 I'd fish for cod off the dock...was the highlight of my trip when I caught even one quillback hahaha Such great memories, such great fun...you know the guys who set er up/kinda own it? Use to be ray bentley (uncle ray as I called him) who would set it up until he passed away a few years ago.

Back