Port Hardy / Winter Harbour / North Island Report - Spring and Summer 2011

Try wayne bezant at winter harbour lodge 1-250-969-4293-very helpful-if he can't take you he'll know who can-and as a bonus-very knowledgeable on the latest on the fish!!

Monday at Cliffe...rained like hell most of the day...stayed in tight to the kelp with 25' and 35' of wire on chovies...two springs over 30 out of the 5 boated...cohos spotty but big when they showed up......

heading up tues am staying at WH lodge any crab info(thx spring fever) is coal harbour the only place? we have stainles crab traps not sure if i wanna leave them there / maybe we'll just take a couple cheap box traps and leave them there ????? been up there many times now but never got the crabs / pm any secret spots and ileave a bottle in your trap if its there!!

Last edited by a moderator:
one more question has anybody gotten salt ice in port hardy lately? we usually get it there cant remember the name of the place right on the water ? just want to make sure we can still get it

I don't know if they are closed for the season, but I was able to buy 150quart coolers of flake ice from Qualicum Rivers resort in Winter Harbour for 20$ a cooler. Way easier than having to bring it in.
Alan

Their last guided trip was over a week ago'so I think that's a stretch. I would call and make sure before I tried that!

Hi Guys,

Still have ice here at the lodge, have a group of guys coming in this weekend, bringing there own boats, so still up and running on the ice thing. Have had a few days away from the lodge to spend with the family before school starts, haven't been online in the last couple of days. Don't have much of a fishing report also, as we haven't really fished since last Tuesday, and we have had a fair amount of rain, which changes everything at this time of the year. Did see a few boats at Cliff and Harvey Cove on my way back from Coal Harbour though, not sure if there were picking anything up or not. I will fire up the ice machine every couple of days for the next two weeks or so, should have some ice hanging around. If you needs a fair amount, give me a PM and I will keep it going, get about 2.5 totes every 24hrs or so, if it is not too hot out. Take care and good luck fishing:)

Regards,

Fishyboy

Fishboy- Thanks for keeping the ice coming! I'm with the group coming up end of this week. We're showing up Thursday and most leaving Monday. Hoping to have a good amount of fish to take back on ice! Appreciate any updates on the fishing. Thx

Jim

Was at Cliffe Yesterday. Had 3 coho on in first 20 minutes and then 3 over the next 6 hours. Saw a few guys bringing in coho but did not see any springs, except lots of little guys. It was pretty windy out and most who headed out past the light returned quickly.

got back on sat from WH had a great trip was hoping the big northern coho were in but maybe in another week .the weather was very windy but sunny too. so we got a half dozen springs 30 the largest at cliff and the rest teeners and halfdozen nice size coho released a few wild up at topknot after we beat our way up there and apile of lingcod- and our limit of crab theres wasnt too many people there rob/shannon and randy at the winter harbour lodge were really great - ron at the store had told me about wolves on the other side of the bay and fri night they howled all night even when we were leaving at 6am realy cool!! but didnt get much sleep - had an orca come up right beside the boat as i released a coho which gave us a jump as well . pretty sure we could see a few tuna boats offshore to but it was to rough for us to run out- im surpised some of the sport boats weren't doing it maybe they were?? overall great trip !

thanks so much for the nice comment about me and my family! the winds died down yesterday just in time for us to head out and get our last few halis of the season. We went to the anvil just off the corner of the RCA and got a double header on hali within seconds of hitting the bottom. We then got to fill the box with ling cod and snapper for the next hour. within 1 hour we had 2 halibut,4 lings and 3 rockfish in the tub. while jigging, we had tons of northern coho jumping around the boat. looking forward to a great few weeks of coho and spring fishing!
tight lines
Randy

oh thats where the anvil is i heard guys talking on the radio about it haha! hey and thanks again for the bag of salt !!-mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Back