Port Alberni Sockeye

If the run is in dire straits should be NO FISIHING for anyone, no exemptions until the required escapement are in the river spawning.

I would just like to know how the following...

-How many natives have been allocated the 10,000 fish?
-What is their allocation for chinook and coho?
-How many fish is this per native per year?

I just checked the Aboriginal Fishery Notices and there is no closure for this group.
So I must assume that they are not breaking any laws IF they are from First Nations.
I understand your frustration but it's like saying it's not fair to drive a car when you're under age.
Spout and spit all you want, you still can't operate one legally.
If you have time on your hands, drop by the fisheries office in Port Alberni, and get the facts straight from them.
If you are then so inclined, contact your MP, MLA, etc. and complain to them.
Let me know how it goes.

We cant change it, we all know that, but I agree with Islandgirl and it is especially frustrating when you are sitting at a pub and they come in selling fish for $10. I dont think selling their fish in pubs falls under the ceremonial purpose....hhmmmmmm:D

A friend of mine claims that sockeye were introduced to B.C. waters by the Japanese in the late 1920's ? Does anyone know if this is true?

i just don't see how it's right for the first nations to have nets in the water, when they havn't even been allowed to catch fish yet.
and ...... i really don't see how it's fair at all. they get to use nets in a RIVER! sporties have to go out and troll around the inlet to make the fish bite and also pay for licenses.
so...... y can't i go in the river and set a net? i think thats kinda discriminative towards me.

The Nanaimo river is considered wiped out but the Native are still aloud to put there net across it and they just leave it there. So when ever that happens there is a few boys who go up stream and throw out a few hay bales in the river. The hay floates down the river aborting the water becoming havier and by the time it hits the net with the force of the river pushing agaisn't it will tear the net right from shore I've seen it break 3/8's rope before:D

How very devious!Too bad if I were to "inadvertantly" lose a few bales out of my truck.Guess not all sporties are idle complainers[}:)]

Back