Port Alberni Sockeye

no fishing for the comercial fishermen and the sport fishermen.

so y does the natives get 10,000 pieces of a run thats already depleted.

anyone else kinda mad about this?

no. no! theres no mouth.
i'm just trying to get fishermens views on this topic.
i'm blaming our government on this one. i have no problem with no fishing. but shouldn't everyone not be fishing?

no. no! theres no mouth.
i'm just trying to get fishermens views on this topic.
i'm blaming our government on this one. i have no problem with no fishing. but shouldn't everyone not be fishing?

whats the forcast? 240k? hopefully they lowballed the estimated returns but they seem alot better at forcasting port sockeye compared to fraser ect.

whats the forcast? 240k? hopefully they lowballed the estimated returns but they seem alot better at forcasting port sockeye compared to fraser ect.

So has there been any mention of an opening for REC fishers in July?

With the sudden state of this run I also concur on a shut down for all stakeholders this year and as previously noted , fingers crossed that the count proves higher than forecast.
Further what caused this year to fail so disastrously ?
If DFO or MOE could answer that question we would be into something beneficial to all parties to that particular run and allow all to partake of the tasty little guys.

AL

F14. et al,
Build and bridge ....and get over it.
This is not a sudden collapse of the fishery. I've seen this run decrease in half every year for the past five years.
Over fishing by all sectors, low water in the rivers, high predation when they do come out for lack of adequate feed for other species, and it goes on and on.
Conservation first.
First Nations second.
Commercial fisheries third.
Sports fishing fourth.
If you don't like being fourth find ways to become third or second.
I used to spend my first six weeks of my charter business targeting this run. Tell me how much this will affect me.
It's over for this year.
Adapt or not, it's up to you.

i dunno.
i just went by the somass river about a half hour ago and seen 3 nets in the water.
looks like natives are ahead of conservation on your list there.
and who's keeping track of their numbers? you know they aren't.

Back