Port Alberni Derby

My two friends went to fishing derby for the weekend. They fished for derby in 3 days, one of my friend on his boat, he caught one middle teen spring. He born and raised in Port Alberni for many years. He knows the water very well. One of my friend who lives in Langford born and raise for many years. He fished in Port Alberni maybe for 10 years. He caught an 8 lbs coho.

Yesterday and today 347 weight in total.

I would say fishing is very SLOW what I think the full moon affect fishing is poor.

Discus

I don't think it's the full-moon so much as it is the number of fish around right now.

People have been complaining of slow Chinook fishing for quite awhile at different locations,whether there was a full moon or not.

It worked out ok so far for the Kemptons.......probably because he's an ex-commercial and knows the ropes.

They say 90% of fish are caught by 10 % of the fishermen on any given day anywhere. And it's usually the same 10%.

Out of 1000 boats fishing the Inlet on Saturday, I would guess probably 600 of them did not have too much of an idea what they were doing.

... Out of 1000 boats fishing the Inlet on Saturday, I would guess probably 600 of them did not have too much of an idea what they were doing.

Kinda like the good handful of Offshore Charter Rigs that wandered in early last week due to reports of decent fish & fishing. Outside those Ladz are usually DEADLY! In here largely a BUST. TOTALLY Different techniques through the Inlet, changes constantly the closer you get to town... Bit of a "Learning Curve" methinks...

As of 12:30pm today...

1stDavid Aikens
Courtney
2ndG. Gabriele
Surrey
3rdRichard Cameron
Port Alberni

Alice still in the lead with 2.5 hours to go...

Cheers,
Nog

Kinda like the good handful of Offshore Charter Rigs that wandered in early last week due to reports of decent fish & fishing. Outside those Ladz are usually DEADLY! In here largely a BUST. TOTALLY Different techniques through the Inlet, changes constantly the closer you get to town... Bit of a "Learning Curve" methinks...

As of 12:30pm today...

1stDavid Aikens
Courtney
2ndG. Gabriele
Surrey
3rdRichard Cameron
Port Alberni

Alice still in the lead with 2.5 hours to go...

Cheers,
Nog

If you told the ukee fleet a year ago that in august they would be scratching deep inside for Mediocore spring fishing most would have laughed. Weird year for sure.

Ps nog are you still on that big sea ray?

Just back from the derby, was slow going for sure. Saturday we wished our usual gear from Dunsmuir to Polly Pt, not even a strike or mackeral for 5 hours so we called it a day. Sunday we hit Underwood and Dunsmuir and managed a 21.2 lber at 0830am. That was it for us, not another strike that day. We threw everything we had at the fish, but no dice! between the 2 days, we honestly saw about 15 fish netted in the hundreds of boats around us.

We didnt even fish today as we were having some engine troubles...

80% of the boats we saw had no fish, lots of frustrated folks out there, but all it takes is one fish to get on the leader board.

Minor change (3rd place today) as of 2:33pm.

1stDavid Aikens
Courtney
2ndG. Gabriele
Surrey
3rdEd Look
Alberta

Barring a Monster coming in within the last 27 minutes, Alice has this one In The Bag!! :D

Headed down to offer my Congrats! :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

PS: Kelly I SOLD that Sea Ray YEARS ago now Buddy... LOL! :p

Yup she won it. I was standing there when she counted down to 3:00 at the weigh scale lol. Rolands fish took 33.6 and another guy the 33.4. Dont quote me on the last two

500 was 2 days of fishing not 3 todays numbers are not in yet. I also heard that was just the clutise scale numbers, not including hidden weight scales at china and bamfield. Id like to know how many chinook and how many coho.

I lost my first dr ball. Theres is a rock or pinnacle right but dunsmuir point that is not on my chart. im not sure what happened it was pretty dramatic.

Got one more fish today nice chubby 12 pound chin. spooled off almost my whole reel it felt like. good times.

I lost one at Dunsmuir Point too once. It's tricky around there when you are tight into shore.

While I was buggering around with my stuck cannonball, a tugboat guy decided to cut a boom loose right next to me.
He pulled the boom out, which moved surprisingly fast, and swung it around, missing me by about a foot as I snipped the wire to cut the ball loose.......got out in the nick of time.

Minor change (3rd place today) as of 2:33pm.

1stDavid Aikens
Courtney
2ndG. Gabriele
Surrey
3rdEd Look
Alberta

Barring a Monster coming in within the last 27 minutes, Alice has this one In The Bag!! :D

Headed down to offer my Congrats! :cool:

Cheers,
Nog

PS: Kelly I SOLD that Sea Ray YEARS ago now Buddy... LOL! :p

I meant the big castaway rig. Been fishing beside it a for few weeks and thought you were running it. Must be wrong.

Just back home from the derby, pretty good weekend for us. 8 springs and 2 coho all between 22-8 lbs and we broke 2 leaders on a couple more.Lucked out and won $100 hidden weight prize for saturday but the biggest suprise was 5 mins ago and checked the answering machine, I won the hds10 and structure scan package from Harbour Chandler...SWEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Just back home from the derby, pretty good weekend for us. 8 springs and 2 coho all between 22-8 lbs and we broke 2 leaders on a couple more.Lucked out and won $100 hidden weight prize for saturday but the biggest suprise was 5 mins ago and checked the answering machine, I won the hds10 and structure scan package from Harbour Chandler...SWEETTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Was that hidden weight package as well?

Congrats!

I lost one at Dunsmuir Point too once. It's tricky around there when you are tight into shore.

While I was buggering around with my stuck cannonball, a tugboat guy decided to cut a boom loose right next to me.
He pulled the boom out, which moved surprisingly fast, and swung it around, missing me by about a foot as I snipped the wire to cut the ball loose.......got out in the nick of time.

I had downriggers weights stuck on the bottom behind that point while looking for sockeyes. It may be a sharp rock pile or submerged logs below. Divers may know what is there.

Lorne, the sounder was a draw for all those who bought a hds sounder from harbour chandler over the last couple months

NICE .you should run out and get a lottery ticket tonight! Good going!! I'm thinking of fishing out of Bamfield starting tomorrow morning...any info you would care to share?Not many reports lately.

ill have to dig out my chart again and have alook but I looked pretty hard at after and the gps. the shore angles up very fast but it was 250 glitch 149 glitch glitch nothing blank, blink blink 48,46,38... i was, no way something must be wrong with the sounder, brain fart, went after one dr started bringing it up and managed to through the boat in neutral and reverse and save the other one. the lead was scraped and 1/2 inch thick fin twisted defeinlty not logs. and im sure not natural contours I was following the contour line on the sounder...i dunno ill have nightmares about that one for awhile. definitely learning here! ill go back one day with gear up and see and then ill phone the chart company and tell them to update there **** (hopfully) I hate being to blame. coulda been a landslide or something right!?...lol grrr

congrats on the win albernifisher! thats awesome! im hoping for a hidin weight today. 22!? can you give me a hint how ya did it now the derby is over!? Your suggestion of the pink hootchie is was got me a spring in the end today. and fishing a area that no one seemed to be fishing. got out of that train running up and down right side of the inlet. I was running 43" leader on almost everything. Tried a bit longer. and everything spoons (which just caught coho) plugs with caught nothing but thought would be my secret winner, I figured most people would be running hootchies so it would a different presentation of something annoying. partner didnt want to try plugs all round so could run the one I wanted to as didnt have the speed. I wish I had ran the pink squirt more.

edit* just wondered. they say fish 'go deeper' during the afternoon because its sunny(?). the water in the inlet is so dark (right word?) does the light penetrate it the same as clear water and make them do this?

Last edited by a moderator:
was slow for us too, got into a few at Beal, nothing big. All under 20. Great weather though and lots of exploring with the kids.

slow for us too, picked up a few, we got a 23 near Diplock , we got him on bait at 110 feet and partner boat a 26, one at Pill tide change.

Back