Porlier Pass anyone?

wildwest

Can anyone jog my memory?We and alot of others used to cut-plug Porlier Pass.I think it was mid May ..or June.I know it's not as productive as the early 90's but there must be some old-timers that recall the great mooching at one time!

Yes it could be,we used to run over from the mainland and camp at Coon Bay..[I think they changed the name since then].Victoria day long weekend I think.Used to be able to drive right down to the bay and camp but the teenagers pretty well shut that access down,garbage and big bonfires put the end to it!Now that I live in Nanaimo it's not too bad running over from Ladysmith.A lot of 20LB+ springs were takin each day..4-6oz,top 50ft.with med. herring.I remember a lady netting a big fish,over the side she went...alot of action then!I believe most were early Fraser fish,must be a few left!!I'll be there!

Polier's not worth fishin imho unless you like feeding the seals.There's got to be a hundred that hang around polier(no joke).The little bastards will even go after bait,so ya better use plastic.It makes fishin kinda difficult when ya start hookin seals in the yap,or soon as ya get one half a dozen go after it.

You are right,lots of seals around that area,last few times over there a pack of a dozen just laying in wait,must be a good feeding and breeding grounds for them buggers.A biologist once mentioned that seals once populated are prone to a [distemper disease],like the canine variety..would't break anyones heart BUT the animal group a#%hols.

Man is one ( was ) of the seals only predator, along with sharks and or killer whales. We have created this population growth and something must be done to fix it, before disease outbreaks occur.
I too have hooked baby seals going after my bait. Time to allow seal clubbing on the west.

I remember one of only the few times out with my MOTHER...Quite morning,then the BITE comes on.Nice fish showing itself..moms is on it,screaming runs on the reel,nice spring close to the boat.BIG DADDY seal snarfs it.Mom never swore..till then.

I have not ventured out there yet this year but as previous posters have stated the seal population is bad if they are as many as last year,
need a cull to happen fairly soon !

AL

has anybody been out? tent island? crabbing the area? Thanks, i might give tent a try on thursday, yet to have anyluck this year :(

Dr.Hook was out last week. He said it was very slow. No bait, no seals, no fish. Hopefully it will pick up soon.

Was out today with the grandkids they wanted to fish cod prowled around allover the inside areas ended up at porlier took to Lighthouse Bay and lost two to the seals almost immediately.
Went outside down Galiano hit 3 , lost 3 on red and black spoons behind a Gold Betsy flasher fished at 70ft , caught a 14lb which we horsed into the boat about 8 ft ahead of a seal.
Nothing after that.
Came in checked the crab trap and had only undersized in it , the weather was nice though.

AL

Eric Philbrook showed my brother and I how to fish the inside at Porlier in the '70's...there was one spot that was so sweet--he would tie to the kelp, put in the bait and whammo. Then he would let slip the line and the tide would take us 200 yards while playing the fish. Crafty old guy, good boat builder too...
T2

No Rigours

Back