Pod Question

Luckyg

I have a thunderjet with the offshore pod, I am finding that no matter how I seal the hoatch cover I am getting water into the pod. Just wondering if anyone has ever filled their pod with expansion foam. I'd have to think of a way to not plug the drain in the botton, perhaps with a screen over it.

Thoughts? Pros/Cons? Anyone else having this problem?

Those plastic inspection hatches are a pain. You probably won't ever get it to totally stop leaking. You could look into something like this and have it welded in place. These ones don't leak.

http://www.fraserbronze.com/inspection-hatch

Also take a really good look around the pod under the swim platform and make sure all the welds are solid. You could be chasing the wrong mouse. I know a guy with a thunderjet offshore alexis and he had this problem. Found where the leak was and welded up. Dry pod.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had water getting into my last pod,turns out a small weld was missed. With the boat on the trailer,fill the pod with water to make sure you havn't got a crack somewhere

If the deckplate hatch is suspect, you cannot do better than the ones by Armstrong http://www.armstrongnautical.com/deckplates.htm. As to foam filled, the debate if that was a good solution was over in the early 90's after many late 80's foam filled pods were saturated with water causing all kinds of performance problems. good luck. DAJ

I had the same problem with the plastic inspection hatch on a pod and in fact it went AWOL about 10 miles off Winter Harbour. Lesser boat and we would have been in big trouble-once home I cut an oversize piece of diamond plate aluminum 'put a sekaflex sealant under it and stainless steel screws around it. I can still inspect the inside of the pod(not easy) but do able and I still drain it every major trip-usually get less than 1/4 cup which seems to be condensation. Plastic hatch covers are dangerous!!! If you foam it and you have a problem with the foam , you have more than just a little headache if you need to remove it!!

I went from plastic to a commercial grade aluminum inspection plate. Not cheap but after a month in the water i get maybe a liter of water to drain while I'm on the trailer doing my monthly maintenance. this one comes with a twisting lock lever, so just half a turn and pull the lid out. Got it years ago at Trotac. Think it came in two sizes. The base ring uses is drill for screws.

If the deckplate hatch is suspect, you cannot do better than the ones by Armstrong http://www.armstrongnautical.com/deckplates.htm. As to foam filled, the debate if that was a good solution was over in the early 90's after many late 80's foam filled pods were saturated with water causing all kinds of performance problems. good luck. DAJ

I thought the solution was to use closed cell foam as opposed the styofoam that can fill with water. Maybe not worth the hassle or risk, always just used a hand pump every couple of weeks on the last rig.

Thanks for the tips. I know for sure the hatch is leaking will replace that and also check for leaking welds.

The seal ring can wear out on the plastic inspection hatch covers. I see you are in Victoria. Trotac sells replacement ring seals.

Note that the manufacturer put a sticker on the one in my pod that says hand tighten only. I suspect so you do not crush the seal. Clean, inspect and replace the seal from time to time. Check it is tight; hard hand tighten from time to time, if it is the same kind as mine.

Thanks,I will check them out.

Ask for Paul as he is the one who told me they carry them. Some of the others may not know.

Recently had the same problem and the hatch was not hand tightened down hard and some wave water and then likely rain water (gallons) had got in there over the winter. Tasted it and it was brackish but not pure ocean water. Should have checked it before winter storage. Will check it more frequently; after all that is what inspection hatches are there for. Heat and cold could cause contraction and expansion of the air in the pod and the pressure differentual could cause air to suck in or blow by the seal and negatively effect/loosen it and any dirt under it could also prevent a good seal..

My view is that foam is not the way to go as it will get in the way of inspections, doing repairs and may have other problems like trapping/holding water. If necessary and if the Pod has lots of volume, go with an electric bilge pump - better peace of mind. Also watch for changes in handling characteristics (stern heavy). As others have suggested you may need a better hatch but not one that cannot be opened easily for inspections and different metals,even aluminum on aluminum can corrode, cause electolysis problems so that it will either leak or seize up on you. Plastic has it's good points, especially with aluminum but I don't disagree with what others have said; a good aluminum hatch frequently inspected and maintained may be the way to go.

My boat has ben surveyed/inspected twice for the insurance co. in the last five years and no issue raised with a high end plastic pod hatch. Like most things on a boat, maintenance and inspection is the key. When mine is tight with a good seal it will go a whole season with only a few oz's in there, likely from condensation.

Back