Plugs - To pull or NOT to pull the pin

Cornfed

I have personally not fished plugs enough to make a determination on the most successful rigging methods...so I was wondering what everybody's opinion is on the rigging of Tomic Plugs. Do you...
A. Tie directly to the tow bar
B. Remove the tow bar (pull the pin) and thread the line through
C. Elastic Bead Chain Method
D. Elastic Band Method

I have looked at a few of the past postings, and it seems like people lean towards the pulled pin method (Answer B). What does everyone think? By the way...I am thinking of West Coast Vancouver Island for summer springers around Bamfield and adjacent banks (i.e. Swiftsure).

I tend to lean toward "B" but I also have some go to plugs that I tie up high and they have produced every year.
That being said, I would pull the pins if but for one reason only.
If the fish breaks you off, you can always retrieve your plug when it floats to the surface.

Pull the pin I love finding plugs floating on the West Coast!LOL

TT - 100ft behind the downrigger!? I have been hearing 40ft to 60ft. Is the reasoning that the further away from the downrigger you are able to get your plug, the less likely a fish is to be spooked by the ball or rigger cable?

Do you ever stack your gear (on the downrigger)? Do you still put 100 ft out when stacking plugs and do you tend to put the plug on top or bottom?

Thanks for the input!

A-I don't like to monkey with the action, pulling pins makes the Plug wander more which is fine for some but it hasn't made any difference to my results.

100' back means it can 'walk' back and forth as it's pulled no worries about spooking fish with the ball or wire they couldn't care less.

When I do run plugs, I use one large single Siwash hook. If you run trebles, you have to be careful to make sure that your trolling speed is right. If it isn't right the weight of the trebles will throw your plug out of wack.

Also, I use the one large single Siwash hook because it has a deeper trough (or gap) than a treble does and it gives more assurance that once the fish is hooked it will stay on.

Another reason might be that if you are sorting through springers to get to your tyee that you want, you might want to use a single siwash because trebles can destroy a fish.

Furthermore, in some management areas, it is illegal to use anything but a "single pointed hook". In the '2005-2007 BC Tidal Waters Sportfishing Guide' it gives the definition...."single barbless hook - A barbless hook with only one point. A treble hook is not considered to be a single hook" I haven't found any restriction on the number of hooks a person can use in the areas that don't have the "single pointed hook" caveat. Does anybody know?

When I do run plugs, I use one large single Siwash hook. If you run trebles, you have to be careful to make sure that your trolling speed is right. If it isn't right the weight of the trebles will throw your plug out of wack.

Also, I use the one large single Siwash hook because it has a deeper trough (or gap) than a treble does and it gives more assurance that once the fish is hooked it will stay on.

Another reason might be that if you are sorting through springers to get to your tyee that you want, you might want to use a single siwash because trebles can destroy a fish.

Furthermore, in some management areas, it is illegal to use anything but a "single pointed hook". In the '2005-2007 BC Tidal Waters Sportfishing Guide' it gives the definition...."single barbless hook - A barbless hook with only one point. A treble hook is not considered to be a single hook" I haven't found any restriction on the number of hooks a person can use in the areas that don't have the "single pointed hook" caveat. Does anybody know?

I pull the pin, run about 50-75' back. I use a single Gami siwash with a crimped (visegrip) swivel and a small glow, red or green bead between the swivel and the plug. I use an 8' Fluro leader and a sampo ball bearing swivel....coat the fwd lip with a decent glob of chovie Smelly Jelly

602, 232, 84FLG would be my top three....

Your results may vary..

check moniker..and U will see HOW I fish

I pull the pin, run about 50-75' back. I use a single Gami siwash with a crimped (visegrip) swivel and a small glow, red or green bead between the swivel and the plug. I use an 8' Fluro leader and a sampo ball bearing swivel....coat the fwd lip with a decent glob of chovie Smelly Jelly

602, 232, 84FLG would be my top three....

Your results may vary..

check moniker..and U will see HOW I fish

Brokenrod: I ordered a bunch from Tom a while back and he sent a couple of 512's with the advice that they looked like Pilchards. They are not my go to, but I LOOK at them every year....

quote:Originally posted by Brokenrod

Tomic,is there a plug that works well for Pilchard ?

Brokenrod: I ordered a bunch from Tom a while back and he sent a couple of 512's with the advice that they looked like Pilchards. They are not my go to, but I LOOK at them every year....

quote:Originally posted by Brokenrod

Tomic,is there a plug that works well for Pilchard ?

I see what you mean Tomic, the 512 really doesn't look like a pilchard.

I see what you mean Tomic, the 512 really doesn't look like a pilchard.

B... Pull the pin, run the line, and if you are fishing deep and slow, rubber band the mainline about 1cm back from the eye to give the extra wobble at the slower speed... and get the big glow versions if you are hitting the west side

B... Pull the pin, run the line, and if you are fishing deep and slow, rubber band the mainline about 1cm back from the eye to give the extra wobble at the slower speed... and get the big glow versions if you are hitting the west side

Back