Plug Eye Colour?

Stoisy

Hey all,

Plug eyes… most are yellow, the odd ones are pink. Why? Is there a reason that yellow is the standard?

Does anyone modify? Glow? UV? All black?

Eyes are obviously important for bait fish and would likely be a target point for an attacking salmon. So I’m surprised there’s not more done with plugs that could have some pretty fantastic eyes…

Cheers!

Hey all,

Plug eyes… most are yellow, the odd ones are pink. Why? Is there a reason that yellow is the standard?

Does anyone modify? Glow? UV? All black?

Eyes are obviously important for bait fish and would likely be a target point for an attacking salmon. So I’m surprised there’s not more done with plugs that could have some pretty fantastic eyes…

Cheers!
Some are also red too. The answer to your question it depends on how deep you fish - if deep I say go with glow. If you want to match real life go black. Remember that red and pink turn black after about 20 ft. Yellow keeps it color to at 50 ft. Blue keeps it the longest down as seen in the graph below. After it is all said and done, not sure if it matters too much IMHO.

1645124109275.png

Here's a little hint for you. For many years now we have been putting 3 D eyes (both silver & yellow) of the correct size on all the plugs we use in the August troll fishery.

3D%20eyes.jpg

Since we began doing so, we have remained in the top 5% of producing boats every single year.
Top boat numerous times, up to and including last year.

Cheers,
Nog

Here's a little hint for you. For many years now we have been putting 3 D eyes (both silver & yellow) of the correct size on all the plugs we use in the August troll fishery.

3D%20eyes.jpg

Since we began doing so, we have remained in the top 5% of producing boats every single year.

Cheers,
Nog
How deep are you usually fishing?

It varies. I set the lines anywhere from 30 to 40 fathoms (180 - 240 feet), and generally stack 6 pieces of gear above that mark in 2 fathom (12 feet) intervals. At times even shallower.

Nog
When your fishing at these depths how deep is the water?

Those prism eyes also work great on other fish candy...spoons and Chovie heads. The good eyes are getting harder to find...anyone found a good store on Island that carries them. Last batch I had to get off Amazon. Never like selecting something like eyes without being able to look them over.

The eyes have it! Makes the presentation. I was trying to find eyes for my Sauce lids and could only find Blue. Worked out better than I thought now will they attract a hit?

Attachments

• IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1364.JPG
    IMG_1364.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1370.JPG
    IMG_1370.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1371.JPG
    IMG_1371.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 71
Good quality prism eyes can be bought online from luremaking.com which is a Canadian company. I found that the 3D eyes didn’t stick as well on plugs and spoons.

3D%20eyes.jpg

Cheers,
Nog
I do the same.
All plugs.
All 6" spoons have 3D eyes.

Good quality prism eyes can be bought online from luremaking.com which is a Canadian company. I found that the 3D eyes didn’t stick as well on plugs and spoons.

Gorilla glue...

Back