Playa Del Carmen Fishing Charters

spoiler

we are going to the Playa Del Carmen area for the first two weeks of March this year. Can anyone recommend a good local fishing charter company that's reasonably priced?
We were thinking of doing two full day charters

You might want to try going to Puerto Aventura. We used Captain Ricks there.
Or you can go out in smaller Panga boats in Akumal.
All close to Playa and fun to go to even without fishing

Went with captain Rick's and would recommend it if you're looking for billfish. However if I went again, I would do light tackle fishing from a pangea boat for more consistent action on smaller fish.

Agreed on the panga option in Akumal Beach, very affordable option and you can hit the beach and snorkel with the turtles afterwards then hit the restaurant right on the beach for some deadly coconut prawns

I'll be there as well. Should I take my own rod?
I am curious on this topic as well, What rod would be recommended?

I see there are many kinds of 4 piece travel rods, would a 9' spinning rod (12-20lbs) be strong enough to hold a fish hooked from the beach...?

I was hoping to do a bit of fly fishing but don't know if it's worth the hastle. I don't think your allowed to fish off the beach anywhere near Akumal as it's a reserve, but just south of there and Tulum are apparently some pretty good areas.

I see from Playa del Carmen it would be easy to take a ferry ride over to Cozumel where there is some fairly reasonable guided fishing, flats or deep sea. Might be neat to go over there for an excursion regardless.

If you fish south of Akumal taking some of the dirt roads down to the water, be very aware of bandits. They trash rental cars, steal coolers etc. I know! Be careful.

Timely thread. I am booking trip to Akumal for first week of May.

Want to do some fishing with my 10 year old son. He’s an accomplished angler and real comfortable on the boat. We are looking to catch as many species as possible rather than something big.
Is it worth looking for a charter a outside Akumal like Tulum? Or other places near by? Or just look for a panga in Akumal?

I’d go right from Akumal. Usually lots of boats there and you can make a deal with the captain. Plus the restaurant there can cook your catch.
You are on open ocean out there and even on a calm day the waves can be very big. Take some Ginger Gravol for your son. I take it regardless as no side effects.
Akumal is beautiful

walk down to La Buena Vida for happy hour. It’s a great spot right on the beach.

We were staying in Akumal in February a few years ago and we ventured into Playa to look into a deep sea excursion. i went to one of the booths setup by Senior Frogs and the guy actually said, Sorry Senor, no dorados or sailfish right now. We can go out for grouper but is no fun for you.”

I was shocked at his honesty; thinking about it later i would have assumed he would still want my money. that’s what j get for assuming. I believe you can inquire of the pangas at the dive shop in Akumal. if not they will for sure direct you in the right direction. If you see the stretch golf cart painted like a cow, please poke around and see if you can find my liver for me.

Back