Pilot House floor material?

bigdogg1

I recently purchased a new to me welded aluminum (24') that has a pilot house. I spent the weekend gutting out the seats, table, fridge, etc., right down to the flooring. I pulled that up as well so I could inspect underneath and all seems good. The present floor is some time of 1/2" composite material (starboard?) cut into 4 pieces to fit the shape. It is full of holes where previous owners have moved pieces around. I intend to play around with various seating options before committing to a 'final' layout. I have 2 questions that I would like your advice on:

1. What material do people suggest I use as a skin for now. This would strictly be for appearance purposes so it isn't even necessary but I like the idea of covering up all the holes.

2. What material do people suggest for a longer term surface? I would like to use at least 3/4" to minimize deflection. This is a DIY and I am good with shop tools for woods and composites...not very good with metals.

Anyways, any advice about material, vendors, prices, etc would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've always thought vinyl plank flooring in circumstances like yours where rigidity isn't needed would work well. Commercial grade would last forever. Easy to lay down and clean. Easy on legs and water resistant. And cost effective.

Depending on how long you want it to last; vinyl cushion floor, the stuff that used to be called lino. If you use it upside down, you get a grey non skid surface that will wear out in a year or two, depending of course how much you use it. Very cheap, temporary. Right side up is slippery when wet.

I have a black rubber floor in mine. basically it's 1/4" or 5/16" black rubber material so you get a good grip and it's easy to clean as you just pull out the pieces and pressure wash them after the seasons over...it isn't glued down or anything. doesn't need to be.

Vinyl decking should work, it comes 6'W x how ever long you need it so no seams. Any building supplier should carry it and I would get the 6mil.

Back