Pics from Japan

Barbender

Hi guys...sweating it out in Tokyo where it is a humid 33 degrees. Thought I would pass on some pics of the fish market here. Every fish in the world is up for auction and of course the big blue fin tuna are the top ticket. A few fish sold yesterday for close to $300 000...that is for one fish.
Picture074.jpg

Picture010.jpg

Picture050.jpg

Farm Raised Spring Salmon from New Zealand
Picture028.jpg

Swordfish
Picture022.jpg

The Auction
Picture074.jpg

This kinda hits home.
Picture078.jpg

wow what a place thnks for the pics hope your the one selling the bluefin thats a lotta coin for one fish

The really big fresh blue fin tuna (500lb and over). They are caught all over the world but quite a few come from PEI.

Just finished watching 60 minutes on T.V.

Segment was about auction fish sales in Japan.

Commentator said most expensive fish of 2008 was the blue fin tuna.

It sold for $8,500.
Would the fellow who posted the OTHER amount like to comment on this.?

quote:Originally posted by Mrtrailer

Just finished watching 60 minutes on T.V.

Segment was about auction fish sales in Japan.

Commentator said most expensive fish of 2008 was the blue fin tuna.

It sold for $8,500.
Would the fellow who posted the OTHER amount like to comment on this.?
Barbender...I am most certainly not calling you a liar,just wonder how 60 minutes could be so out of cinq with your amount for the fish. Probably has some international flair which the good old Government is responsible.

Again,please don't take my previous post as an insult. :)

Saw the same 60 min. Thought they said the most $$$ tuna was 30,000.
Maybe Barbender added one too many zero's.
Either way, mucho dineros.

No problem guys. I was only passing on what my customer was telling me as I dont understand Japanese that well (actually not at all). He may have meant 300 000 yen which would be around $3000.00 I do get things wrong from time to time. It was still hard to watch, with so few big blue fin left in the ocean and here were hundreds of them on the floor being auctioned.

quote: ah so this is why you're such a pro-fish farm guy- it all makes sense.
Yes, I think if more people were involved in the commercial seafood sector they would be more pro farmed as well. I dont mean as a fishermen I mean as processor or distributor. Take these giant Tuna as a example. They are nearing extinction at a very rapid rate, as are most if not all of the commercially fished species around the world. You can blame sea lice till your blue in the face, the simple fact is 90% of the worlds fish populations are in trouble due to over exploitation. Anyway this post was just to show pictures of the market so you could see fish species being marketed my soapbox on farmed is on another thread.

Back