Pickled salmon

Shepnoir

Reading the canning thread has brought back some memories.... When I was a boy my step dads brother in law was a commie. He did everything with salmon but the best was a pickled salmon in the half pint mason jars. Unfortunately ol Hank has gone to the big sea in the sky and he took the recipe with him. Not sure if he used a pressure cooker or not. I have tried curing a couple times with little success. Anyone have a time tested recipe that they are willing to share? Thanks in advance and happy new year to you all.

I do it every year for a christmas treat. I don't use a cooker because it is cured in the salt. I usually take my Salmon fillets and layer then in a tuperware container between healthy layers of coarse pickling salt. Place it in the fridge and I let it cure for a few weeks....but other people I know just leave it in the salt and just take out what they want to make a batch. I prefer just to do it all at once. I then remove the cured Salmon give it a quick rinse and just trim off the edges as they sometimes yellow up a bit. Nothing wrong with it but it's more of a presentation thing. I then cut it up into small bite size pieces and then prepare the brine. I use a 50/50 vinegar sugar mixture and make sure it completely dissolves and warm it up on the stove at the same time.......not a boil but pretty warm. After that I take my Mason jar and place a few onion slices in and some Lowry's pickling spice.....just a dash....lol Then fill the jar with fish and add another few slices of onoin and a dash of spice again. Fill the jars up with the warm brine and put on the sealer ring....which is warmed up similar to regular canning. Throw them back in the fridge for at least a week.....but longer is better and enjoy! I have kept it for along time with this process and have had great success and lots of compliments! lol Cheers!

Back