PHMA Steps Up Propaganda Machine

true there is a lot of expence to fish halibut first a healthy fee paid to govtment for licene to fish log books to buy camera to buy or lease; bait at exorbant prices dockside observers at each unloading; our payment to archipelago marine for camera loading; plus dockside observers was 17000 for last year;fishing boats are expensive to own and keep in good repair; while it sounds good there is a lot of expences; end high cash flo; now we are supposed to fight to keep whatlittle quota we have left

Well not much of what i said was that far off :)

Few questions. When the goverment bought up that 17% what did they pay for it? and who got paid? MY Assumption is a a commerical fisherman that was either gifted it inthe first place or a guy that paid 26 a lb, which im sure that is not what it sold for.

Government came into the market place with a blank cheque and inflated the market place. Your ASSumption is just that an assumption. The majority of the commercial TAC has traded hands since inception. you seem to like to get on the SFI bandwagon so here is a question for you. How much quota has been bought and sold since inception and how much of it is still held by those that earned if from fishing history and way of life?

The less TAC to catch reflects the higher quota price obviously. but for rough numbers, the quota back then was $26 a lb and is now $60 a lb(im sure you can confirm that) so in the end dollar for dollar its still worth more. $26x 100lb is $2600 and $60x 50b is $3000. I can also say without a doubt if we ever get back to 11 miilion pounds the price of quota will not drop anywhere near the 26 a lb it was orgianlly.

Again you have little knowledge here. The last big increase in TAC caused a huge drop in the value of fish and quota. The market place is small and any significant change in tac can have a huge impact on markets. Has the price of quota inflated since inception...... what the hell hasn't.

Your point that it takes 10+ years to make any money is ridculous. It may take 10 years to pay off the asset(the quota) if you ammortize it over 10 years. and hey if its interest free why the hell wouldnt you! but its not like you dont make any money before that asset is paid off. NO company would survive for 10 years without making money, Get a grip.
Heres some more math

100,000lb at 26 lbs=2.6million amortized over 10 years 260k a year
100,000lb at $7 lb- 700,000 in revenue just in halibut (im sure most halibut fisherman fish other rockfish)
Now i have no clue what a commercial boat cost but lets say 1 million over 10 years. so another 100k a year
i also have no clue what operating expenses are (wages, fuel, bait, hooks, etc) but lets assume like any well run business its 30-40% of revenue. so maybe another 200k.
So in the end you have 700k in revenue 600 or so k in expenses still leaves room at the end. not alot but some as in those operating costs are a salary for yourself im sure. And once you are free and clear on your boat and your quota, its BIG MONEY. so you have to live likea normal person for some years, then once your major assets are paid off you now own a quota that has doubled in price, and a 1 million dollar boat. Plus you arent paying into that(well im sure theres plenty of $$$ in keep the boat running) so that excess goes into your jeans. which i think is a great business, which is why as mentioned, i think we should have to pay for the quota to get it back. Its not fair to the commercial guy as he madea sound investment which we got the short end of the stick. But lets call a spade a spade, if you arent making money with that business model, you shouldnt be in business. Same with the other commercial entiy(guides and lodges)

I dont know alot, but i know common sense, i know business and i know mathematics :)

Yes you can do math Lorne but you have no idea on how a commercial fishing vessel operates or how the financing works. Again why blab about things you obviously have no idea about?

Government came into the market place with a blank cheque and inflated the market place. Your ASSumption is just that an assumption. The majority of the commercial TAC has traded hands since inception. you seem to like to get on the SFI bandwagon so here is a question for you. How much quota has been bought and sold since inception and how much of it is still held by those that earned if from fishing history and way of life?

Again you have little knowledge here. The last big increase in TAC caused a huge drop in the value of fish and quota. The market place is small and any significant change in tac can have a huge impact on markets. Has the price of quota inflated since inception...... what the hell hasn't.

Yes you can do math Lorne but you have no idea on how a commercial fishing vessel operates or how the financing works. Again why blab about things you obviously have no idea about?

If you have read any of my posts you would know, I am definitely not on the SFI bandwagon. LOL. quite the opposite.

I ask questions because i can only assume based on common sense, and since you seem to avoid my questions like the plague, and instead answer them with your own question, i can only ASSUME i am not far off. If i dont know what im talking about(which clearly you think i dont) elighten me. I have asked a few times now for the facts, so i can stop assuming things, but you wont answer them.

I am not on anyones side but my own, but dont say you halibut fisherman got it rough. Cause you dont. Thats the point im trying to make.

Back