PFD’s What you wearing?

Tips Up

Looking to replace old inflatable PFD’s.
I have some that may be 20 years old that don’t get used anymore because I figure I can’t trust them. But they were smaller and comfortable. Also have a current cheap one from cabellas. Small and comfortable but cheap fabric. Looking at mustang MIT100 but they are bulkier than what I’m used to.
Suggestions? From experience.
Thanks.

Looking to replace old inflatable PFD’s.
I have some that may be 20 years old that don’t get used anymore because I figure I can’t trust them. But they were smaller and comfortable. Also have a current cheap one from cabellas. Small and comfortable but cheap fabric. Looking at mustang MIT100 but they are bulkier than what I’m used to.
Suggestions? From experience.
Thanks.
My go to is the Mustang EP38, super comfortable and doesn't hang low in the front and impede the rod & reel like most horse collar inflatables do.

Attachments

• 20220609_120013.jpg
    20220609_120013.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 103
I have mustang manual inflatables. The guy sold me on manuals because he had one inflate due to heavy rain one day. But I wish I got the automatic ones

Thanks for feedback so far. Interested in hearing more options.
I have always had manuals. I figure chances of going overboard unconscious while fishing is slim.

Mustang Khimeras, have both foam floatation and increased manual CO2 floatation. Best of both worlds in case that slim chance happens. Or you just want to jump in / your kids want to jump in with some floatation. Also very comfortable to not have anything on the back of your neck all day. I was skeptical about the design, but they are more comfortable than the collars in my opinion.

I have a self inflating Mustang with the afore-mentioned collar, and yes it is uncomfortable in warm weather wearing a t shirt, otherwise it is fine over something with a hood or thick collar. However, I prefer the tight fit of a paddlers style of pdf, large arm holes for paddling, rowing, hauling gear, gaffing, netting etc.

My boat uses regular watersport PFDs. They serve two purposes. 1) they save your life if you go overboard. 2) they help keep you nice and warm while fishing. Also relatively cheap (Costco) and come in a variety of sizes.

I picked up some automatic inflatables from Costco about a month ago. $99 each.. I think the brand was havusu but don't quote me on that.

Mustang Elite 28 w/ hydrostatic. Flotation is in the back instead of behind your neck, more comfortable for long days on the water and very lightweight means it actually gets worn in my boat.

My boat uses regular watersport PFDs. They serve two purposes. 1) they save your life if you go overboard. 2) they help keep you nice and warm while fishing. Also relatively cheap (Costco) and come in a variety of sizes.
Same here

I second the emotion on regular water sport PFD’s.....they add some warmth, can be as comfortable as the inflatable ones, but more importantly, remove part of the risk of hydrostatic PFD’s......

there’s a harrowing story from a few years ago that sobered me up about hydrostatic PFD’s and I stopped using them ever since hearing that story.

The owner of Defiance boats was fishing a derby down in California with a 28 footer they manufacture....5 peeps on board.
One of the guys on the back deck wrapped some braid into the prop of one of the twin outboards—-like a big chunk of braid......the boat was now down to one outboard. Meanwhile, there was an out-going tide flushing out of the harbor they were trying to get back into that was stacking up into 15-20 footers against a westerly blow at the entrance. The boat crawled up the face of one of the waves but lost control on the crest due to sluggish handling on one outboard. While skating down the backside of the wave it pitch-poled.

The skipper, wearing a hydrostatic vest, got pinned in the wheelhouse when it inflated in the now upside-down boat—-everybody else made it out except him. He was finally able to stab a hole in it with a knife (while underwater) and lived to tell the tale....but just barely....

Now I see that post from Klob up above that underscores my paranoia about relying on cartridges with or without water activating them .....say no more.

Last edited:
2 Mustang auto and 2 mustang manuals and 3 watersport pfd on board.
Test your auto and manuals every so often,
I do them on a hot day while at a lake, its a blast...pardon the punn

Regarding inflation while upside down in a cabin, you'd think your chances would be better wearing an inflatable,especially a manual than wearing a sporting/oldschool pfd??

I'm also one that wears a PFD. My kayak pfd from my kayak fishing days. I wear it all the time on the boat, the kayak style are designed to allow freedom of movement. I use self inflating PFDs at work and I know that they need to be maintained and inspected or they can fail if something gets worn. My Kayak pfd is a good middle ground between a regular boating lifejacket and a smaller inflating collar.

.... added plus is it makes me look sexier then I already am... the ladies don't even stand a chance ;)

Last edited:
I have the Cabela’s , auto + manual ones, my wife has the mustang auto, both tested by jumping over board and both worked flawlessly

I have just fitted my 10 yr old grandson with a new one. Discovered that kids are prohibited from wearing an inflatable if under 80 pounds in weight.

Back