Petition to the House of Commons

IronNoggin

Whereas:

We demand immediate changes to salmon regulations;

The Department of Fisheries and Oceans’s mandate to support fishing and the fishing economy changed to support mammals and marine life;

We ask for a balance between the fishing economy and the protection of oceans;
Fishermen want to protect salmon to ensure sustainability;

Chinook salmon stocks are highest in over a decade;

Port Renfrew fishing brings in $26M annually, was reduced to $16.5M in 2023 and will be a total loss in 2024;

Potential economic impacts include: loss of business for local stores, first nations, hotels, restaurants and the entire tourism industry;

Southern Resident killer whales (SRKW) migration patterns show that they are not near Port Renfrew for majority of the year;

There are three main reasons for the decline of SRKW: pollution, noise, and food;

Pollution from urbanization, vessels, among others have not been addressed;

Pinniped population has dramatically increased and regularly swim up river, eat the salmon before they can reach the ocean to mature;

Noise from BC Ferries makes up 68%, merchant vessels make up 18%, and sport fishermen make up just 0.6% of the noise that impacts SRKW;

Last minute changes to the season is disastrous for businesses and should be done a season in advance; and
Adopt the status quo or an avoidance zone for the 2024 season to ensure the fishing economy survives until the regulations can be readdressed.

We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Port Renfrew and members of the BC Fishing Association, on behalf of all Canadians, call upon the House of Commons to make immediate adjustments to the 2024 fishing season and to find balance by allowing fishermen to catch Chinook salmon in the 2024 season through maintaining the status quo or implementing an avoidance zone.

Only one of those 3 main reasons you listed are a reason to be in that list.

3 main reasons

Number 1: Half of the whales were taken.

Number 2: because of reason number one they whales imbread substantially

Number 3: large commercial industry pollution

Last edited:
Why is this being sponsored by an MP from Alberta? Do we not have any MP's in BC who could bring this forward?

Why is this being sponsored by an MP from Alberta? Do we not have any MP's in BC who could bring this forward?

Conservative Hunting and Angling Caucus[edit]​

Blaine helped found and served as vice-chair and is currently the chair of the Conservative Hunting and Angling Caucus (CHAC). The CHAC was founded in order to help ensure that hunters, anglers, trappers and all those who participate in the outdoor way of life are robustly represented in the Conservative Party and in parliament. As a former Park Warden and avid outdoorsman, Blaine passionately defends the outdoor way of life, in order to ensure that future generations are able to continue this important way of life, and that Canadians have access to public lands to sustainably harvest wildlife resources as Canadians have since first contact, and First Nations people have since time immemorial.[9][10][11]

There is another petition available, one sponsored by the MP of the Cowichan-Malahat-Langford riding. It is much more likely to be successful as it's sponsored by the Local MP and submitted by the President of the Port Renfrew Chamber of commerce. You should probably sign both anyway, more attention is better than less.

Alistair has been actively pushing for Port Renfrew sport fishing, he wrote a Ministerial letter to the Minister of Fisheries, and has been actively seeking support in Ottawa from other MPs who have had their fisheries closed, and who can speak to the economic impact of the situation.

If you think for one second the NDP wants to do anything for sports fishing and doesn’t just prop up the liberals and support closures based on little science but only environmental and First Nations you’re high.

The NDP is in the pocket of these groups. And actively support non science based killer whale closures. NDP = no fishing.

If you think for one second the NDP wants to do anything for sports fishing and doesn’t just prop up the liberals and support closures based on little science but only environmental and First Nations you’re high.

The NDP is in the pocket of these groups. And actively support non science based killer whale closures. NDP = no fishing.

So all these petitions do is give the MP who sponsored them time to talk about it and present it in the house of commons. Would you rather that MP be a part of the government with actual power, or an opposition MP who has no legislative or committee power? The house recognizes the opposition MP, the house listens to the government MP, as simple as that.

Alistair is a sport fisher who does a yearly Port Renfrew trip. He met with the president of the Part Renfrew Chamber of Commerce who wrote the petition, along with members of the sport fishing community and charter owners, they came to this plan together because it's good for Port Renfrew. Whatever you think of politics, politicians want to get re-elected, and they do that by helping the communities in the riding.

Look at the work that Alistair does, he secured 24 million in federal dollars to build the weir in Lake Cowichan in part because of the importance of that water system for fish stocks. You can have whatever opinion you want about federal politics, but you're a fool if you turn down the help of an MP in government, because you have a bad opinion of his team. Sign them both. Or cut off your nose to spite your face, whatever you're into.

Alistair isn’t a government MP either. You’re proving my point. Conservatives will be in power next election so better vote conservative using your logic.

The only party that has stated opposition to MPA’s and expressly said mark selective will be a big investment for them as well as giving sports fishers more opportunities is the conservatives. Period.

There isn't an election until after summer of next year, we could lost two seasons man. Vote for whoever you want, sign both petitions because you want to fish.

So let me ask this.. By signing the 4913 petition, you are agreeing to what they are claiming are the 3 main reasons for the decline of the whales?

I don't understand how that can help the situation. We're defending one side and agreeing with bad science and data in which case they are using as ammo from the engo side. Makes zero sense to me.

Honestly I'm surprised 4913 made it past the Petition Clerk. The first line of the Prayer (the section after the whereas, but before the demand) includes a demand, the third line is a demand, the last line is a demand. All of the demands should be in the conclusion. It also makes a lot of claims that I think are unnecessary and not in evidence, we literally don't know the reason for the decline, and one of the leading candidates (inbreeding) is not included in the petition. It also calls upon the House of Commons, who do not set closures, rather than a more broad Government of Canada, or more specific DFO. It's really a mess, and you can tell it was drafted by someone who has no experience in government, and the MP who approved it clearly didn't have his staff review it.

That being said I still signed them both, more attention is better than less.

Both signed.

As an aside, I feel Petitions have little impact. I did one, and it didn't meet the required threshold of signature for the government to respond. In my opinion, a multi-MP, cabinet, and multi-party approach is needed. Despite not getting a large number to sign our petition, three of the four major parties supported our bill. I'll write a note directly to my MP in Saanich on Renfrew and would suggest everyone do the same. Unique emails and letters are better than form (copy and paste)

Back