Pender Island Resort Closed by Province

T

The Fish Assassin

From the T/C.

The owner of a North Pender Island resort is being forced by the B.C. Supreme Court to shut down, reigniting the debate over short-term vacation rentals on the Gulf Islands.

Robert Conconi, owner of the Timbers on North Pender Island, has been operating a commercial resort on residential land since 2003, violating an Islands Trust bylaw prohibiting short-term vacation rentals in residential areas.

The Timbers, which sits on 55 acres of waterfront land, has five cottages that accommodate up to six people each. The largest rents for up to $2,900 a week in peak season.

Residents in the area complained "en masse" about the resort, said Gary Steeves, a trustee for North Pender Island.

They were concerned about planes flying in, music from weddings, and strangers driving around their neighbourhood, he said.

It was the first time the Islands Trust has gone to court to resolve what has become a longstanding dispute across the Gulf Islands, between property owners who rent out their idyllic cabins and cottages to short-term guests and the residents who dream of a peaceful neighbourhood without a mini-hotel operating next door.

Sheila Malcolmson, chairwoman of the Islands Trust Council, said the ruling will send a message to property owners that "neighbourhoods are for neighbours."

But Carol Budnyk, president of the Pender Island Chamber of Commerce, said the decision could threaten North Pender's tourism industry, a major driver of the tiny Island's economy. "With the Trust attempting to prohibit short-term vacation rentals, it is definitely detrimental to our economy as a whole."

Budnyk said she hopes the Timbers, whose guests spend money at other area businesses, will not have to shut down.

Conconi, who is "shocked" at the ruling, will appeal, giving him time to operate his resort until a final judgment, said Pauline Jackson, of Platinum Vacation Group, which manages the bookings for the Timbers. Conconi was not available for comment.

The decision does not affect guests who have already booked, Jackson said. The Timbers has bookings until the end of the summer. But the resort is not taking further reservations and must shut down its website or be found in contempt of court, she said.

The decision affects other short-term rentals on North Pender Island, said Jackson, whose company manages a broker service for about 30 private owners who offer vacation spots.

Take only what you need.

quote:Originally posted by beemer

As usual gulf islanders want it all! We want a subsidized ferry system with a regular schedule , We want tourism dollars but we don't want to provide overnite accomadations, We want to live in a fantastic place even if their is no work , because it is our "right", We don't want "weekenders" who pay 90% of the tax burden to support us. Give me a break! The Island Trust is a joke and one more phoney layer of government that costs all of us buckets of money.
Yah , I guess I have strong opinions on the issue.

What he said!

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

How did our U.S. beaurocrats get up there and start running your Island? Please don't send them back, but kindly take them on a one way crab or halibut fishing trip.

Good Luck.

The Biatch is trying to protect her own little chunk of the pie! It's ok for her to have a comercial company , but not for others? I wonder how much she gave to the lieberal judges for this judgement? Our courts system has become a running joke to the world! Just look at Basi and the silence of that feeble old Oppal.

If you make peaceful revolution impossible you make violent revolution inevitable. JFK

IMG_1574.jpg

My question is "where's the commercial area on North Pender?"
55 acres seems like a big enough buffer for neighboring properties.
LOSERS!!!

Hooch
swiftsurehaliaug07-1.jpg

I've actually stayed at Timbers and will be up there again on the May 24 weekend. It's a great spot. A couple of cottages, a working hobby farm, small pool, sheep, chickens, a trampoline. Gimme a break!!! NIMBY idiots.

Mr. Conconi the owner has just about the coolest boat I've seen. Aluminum hull with large pontoons on the side -- Dual 250s -- big pilothouse. Looks like an RCMP boat -- apparently custom made in NZ I think. Has it on a hydro-lift system that brings it right out of the water.

TenMile
<'((((><

Back