Peer Review concludes PRV transfer from Atlantic salmon farms poses minimal risk t

It seems to me stopping the dumping of virus infected blood into the water is a no brainer to help with viral concentrations around the sites dumping it. What will remain of viral transmission to the Ocean? Net pens with millions of infected salmon shedding the virus through their skin, gills and feces. The area around a fish farm will continue to be an area with high concentrations of viral load. Pointing out some basic principals of virology in no way insinuates the virus is not contagious or potentially deadly. I don't think how contagious it is, or what concentration of virions are needed to initiate infection is known. However what is clear is the potential area of transmission around a cleaning table is going to be much smaller than that around a blood outflow, or a fish farm itself.

Depends on who you ask. On one hand when it comes to fish farms its a deadly, hight transmissible virus, yet it totally gets downplayed from the cleaning table aspect and ya-all refuse to discuss hatchery production and salmon ranching practices. You don't get two sets of rules!

Refresh my memory was Almo's fraser river sockeye study PRV, Euro PRV or BC PRV?
There are 3 types of Piscine orthoreovirus PRV-1, PRV-2 and PRV-3

Japan has PRV- 2
Norway has PRV-1 and PRV -3
Chile has PRV-1 and PRV-3
Canada has PRV-1

index.php

Here is a paper that shows these results from samples done as part of the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative.
Reading through it you will find why many are alarmed by PRV transmitted from Fish Farms to wild salmon.
IMHO the fish farms are playing with a loaded gun and they don't know what end they are pointing it at. Hell, they seem to think it's just a stick with some metal attached.
https://www.psf.ca/sites/default/files/ISH Manuscript + Suppl mat.pdf

3. Only in the minds of ENGO robots who suffer AFD is the ocean the biggest area of mortality on most wild salmon stocks. People who read deeper into survival studies rather that jump strait to the authors incorrect conclusions can easily see that FW has a far greater variable of success in productivity.

4. It should be noted that all you internet scientists are just pushing the ENGO science and do not actually do any science yourselves or ever look outside the computer screen for answers....
FM, I admire your perseverance in your beliefs - but that is only what they are - beliefs.

Whether you wish to "believe it" or not - there's lots of researchers out there who disagree with you on your sole focus on pH - and yes - they get out of the office. Some even publish their research/data. Those data/articles are available. I encourage you to read-up on things like:
1/ marine survival and changes in those survival/mortality rates over the years,
2/ the fact that for some species (esp. pinks & chums) - the freshwater phase is largely for egg incubation and the growth and feeding (and WQ) happens elsewhere,
3/ There are many changes in WQ that are affected by a suite of interacting variables - pH is but just one. High summer temperatures are also having an effect - esp. from the Fraser Southwards. Lentic verses lotic verses estuarine verses oceanic waters all have different influences on their WQ.

That's just the start of understanding of WQ issues - let alone all the other potential influences on wild salmon numbers - including disease and parasite vector amplification and transfer like the focus of this thread (e.g. Prv)...

There are 3 types of Piscine orthoreovirus PRV-1, PRV-2 and PRV-3

Japan has PRV- 2
Norway has PRV-1 and PRV -3
Chile has PRV-1 and PRV-3
Canada has PRV-1

index.php

Here is a paper that shows these results from samples done as part of the Strategic Salmon Health Initiative.
Reading through it you will find why many are alarmed by PRV transmitted from Fish Farms to wild salmon.
IMHO the fish farms are playing with a loaded gun and they don't know what end they are pointing it at. Hell, they seem to think it's just a stick with some metal attached.
https://www.psf.ca/sites/default/files/ISH Manuscript + Suppl mat.pdf

Well fish farms have to test for this Now correct?? Will also be holding your local hatchery to the same standards to make sure they test for this deadly virus as per their protocols? Will you be writing an SFAB motion asking hatchery to also test before they transfer to net pens? or do egg takes? or test smolts?

Sure looks like they are required too

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...-government-prv-fish-farm-policy.73583/page-3

Last edited:
Agent, my beliefs are real life facts. Look at the videos I have posted where major salmon/SH streams have collapsed ecology. Please respond to those.

Seems everything you believe is coming from reading reports then making YHO from behind a desk. My beliefs come from being in the field and then I have gone to the desk to seek the science to explain it. There are some aspects to the coastal salmon die off that there is no science for. Something you and others cant seem to understand is that there is still big gaps in knowledge!! I am pointing them out with videos. You have closed the door on any new ideas or science that conflicts with your present beliefs. The classic symptoms of AFD boils out of your every post.

I don't need a lecture of your interpretation as to the importance of pH in WQ as it is empty words from someone who obviously cares more about their ENGO plight than seeking solutions to the real world ecology die off in salmon streams. If you are not able to respond to the videos of lacking ecology with intellect and open concern then it just shows where your intentions lye. AFD!!

I chose to use videos because, intentional or not, it is far easier to misrepresent a situation on paper that with pictures or video. I have no intentions of deceit but to bring awareness for an unrecognized real world issue that has caused a salmon depression. Deflect all you want as this will all come out someday. I also want to make sure that future generations of concerned people and scientists have some exposure to real world information other than just the ENGO solicitations,

Can you imagine all the Public Involvement Programs, Salmonids in the Classrooms, and Streamkeeper programs this will effect if it becomes law?
Poor time to be contemplating more hatcheries or juvenile releases, imo. Score another win for Almo and her FN/Ecojustice buddies.

Interesting theory Dave.
I rather expect regardless of the outcome local Chinook, Pink and Coho smolts will be exempt.
Imported Atlantic smolts however may not be looked at the same way.

Can you imagine all the Public Involvement Programs, Salmonids in the Classrooms, and Streamkeeper programs this will effect if it becomes law?
Poor time to be contemplating more hatcheries or juvenile releases, imo. Score another win for Almo and her FN/Ecojustice buddies.

Do you really expect people to think that it's OK to release sick fish when we know there is little chance that they will survive?

Do you really expect people to think that it's OK to release sick fish when we know there is little chance that they will survive?

Dident almo study show that most of the sockeye returning were infected with prv?

Talking about the presence of a virus, not the presence of a disease. Two different things.

Interesting theory Dave.
I rather expect regardless of the outcome local Chinook, Pink and Coho smolts will be exempt.
Imported Atlantic smolts however may not be looked at the same way.

Moving the goal posts again. lol

Dident almo study show that most of the sockeye returning were infected with prv?

Well it's complicated.

Abstract
The disease Heart and Skeletal Muscle Inflammation (HSMI) is causing substantial economic losses to the Norwegian salmon farming industry where the causative agent, piscine orthoreovirus (PRV), is reportedly spreading from farmed to wild Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) with as yet undetermined impacts. To assess if PRV infection is epidemiologically linked between wild and farmed salmon in the eastern Pacific, wild Pacific salmon (Oncorhynchus sp.) from regions designated as high or low exposure to salmon farms and farmed Atlantic salmon reared in British Columbia (BC) were tested for PRV. The proportion of PRV infection in wild fish was related to exposure to salmon farms (p = 0.0097). PRV was detected in: 95% of farmed Atlantic salmon, 37–45% of wild salmon from regions highly exposed to salmon farms and 5% of wild salmon from the regions furthest from salmon farms. The proportion of PRV infection was also significantly lower (p = 0.0008) where wild salmon had been challenged by an arduous return migration into high-elevation spawning habitat. Inter-annual PRV infection declined in both wild and farmed salmon from 2012–2013 (p ≤ 0.002). These results suggest that PRV transfer is occurring from farmed Atlantic salmon to wild Pacific salmon, that infection in farmed salmon may be influencing infection rates in wild salmon, and that this may pose a risk of reduced fitness in wild salmon impacting their survival and reproduction.
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0188793

Talking about the presence of a virus, not the presence of a disease. Two different things.
Read the study that I linked to in post #42 then get back to me.

Hmm. Well Alaska is suffering a king salmon crisis as well. No farms there and the experts there do not seem to think PRV is an issue for their kings or any other species of pacific salmon in their area.

Same can be said for the Skeena spring salmon.

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/sites/defaul...epaper revised Sept 2017.pdf?3c0h5&g0ewylow29

Interesting how Alaska gets to avoid spending hundreds of millions on this sort of stuff and here in canada its spend spend spend.

Hmm. Well Alaska is suffering a king salmon crisis as well. No farms there and the experts there do not seem to think PRV is an issue for their kings or any other species of pacific salmon in their area.

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/PRV whitepaper revised Sept 2017.pdf?3c0h5&g0ewylow29

Interesting how Alaska gets to avoid spending hundreds of millions on this sort of stuff and here in canada its spend spend spend.
I have my ideas why those other Chinook stocks are suffering. Nobody would believe me though. lol!

Agent, my beliefs are real life facts. Look at the videos I have posted where major salmon/SH streams have collapsed ecology. Please respond to those.

Seems everything you believe is coming from reading reports then making YHO from behind a desk. My beliefs come from being in the field and then I have gone to the desk to seek the science to explain it. There are some aspects to the coastal salmon die off that there is no science for. Something you and others cant seem to understand is that there is still big gaps in knowledge!! I am pointing them out with videos. You have closed the door on any new ideas or science that conflicts with your present beliefs. The classic symptoms of AFD boils out of your every post.

I don't need a lecture of your interpretation as to the importance of pH in WQ as it is empty words from someone who obviously cares more about their ENGO plight than seeking solutions to the real world ecology die off in salmon streams. If you are not able to respond to the videos of lacking ecology with intellect and open concern then it just shows where your intentions lye. AFD!!

I chose to use videos because, intentional or not, it is far easier to misrepresent a situation on paper that with pictures or video. I have no intentions of deceit but to bring awareness for an unrecognized real world issue that has caused a salmon depression. Deflect all you want as this will all come out someday. I also want to make sure that future generations of concerned people and scientists have some exposure to real world information other than just the ENGO solicitations,
This thread is about PRV threat to Wild Salm0n why not start another thread on your favourite topic instead of derailing this one?

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/PRV whitepaper revised Sept 2017.pdf?3c0h5&g0ewylow29

Where has this country spent hundreds of millions on anything related to helping Wild Salmon?

Back