Panel Switches

Peahead

Anyone know a good place with good prices to get panel switches (and breakers or screw in fuse holders) as well as Marine connectors ( Ancor) ? Online or local. Marine grade of course - the prices seem higher than I expected locally ( $20-25 each for switches) so with all the marine connectors , breakers, switches and wire it would be great to find a better price. I need 12 switches to replace the ones in my electrical switch panel at the helm of my 228 Grady. I am keeping the same "stock" imitation wood grain panel so just replacing and rewiring the switches and breakers. The ones Grady used in 2000 were McGill rocker switches (Emerson Industrial) but any rocker style that fit the panel openings would be good.

Thanks in advance guys...

I got mine online at the Vancouver West Marine store.
You bet pricey, I also got the 10-2 tinned wire from them.

PM Sent but I skimmed your post...

Check with Steveston in Van for switches...thought at first you were looking for a panel too...but they can help with the switches for sure.

Funny you post this I just priced a simple on/off push pull switch and it was $30. I couldn't believe how expensive it was.

I have just got them from amazon, can not beat that price, of course you need to buy more than one

Looked at amazon and they where $6-8 and about $20 to ship, still cheaper but not by much and then you need to wait for it. I was told to try Western Marine or Trotac.

Hey Peahead, are the swithes gone or just the typical grady lettering and stamping faded and worn?
if so I seen new Grady OEM switch covers on ebay they come with the usual 12 in a kit

Hey Peahead, are the swithes gone or just the typical grady lettering and stamping faded and worn?
if so I seen new Grady OEM switch covers on ebay they come with the usual 12 in a kit

Thanks for all the info guys . Hook'in up, the panel switcheslettering is fine as you can see in photo. Some of the switches are not working and quite corroded so want to start again with all new switches andbreakers ( or fuse holders instead of breakers) . For summer I got by with most working after cleaning/repairing them . I have a windshield leak that has been a bit*h to stop that drips through down along below the starboard window then and drips onto the panel - hence the corrsion

Greg Morton (40)Grady 228 switch panel.jpg

Front panel - I want to keep the panel and replace switches and breakers only

DSC_9796.jpg DSC_9815res.jpg

Here are photos of back of panel . I may use fuse holders instead of breakers. It almost looks here that its mainly the breakers that are corroded and less so the actual switches - edit --nope the switches have most corrosion--was looking at it upside down!)

Last edited by a moderator:
circuit breakers are easier to reset, and no fumbling around looking for a fuse at 5am in the dark .
did you check with Grady? alot of that stuff is still available OEM,
there was a Store I was in one time in vancouver that had tons of different types of rocker switches
cant remember the name of it but it used to be right beside coast signature paints at 1st and boundary not battery world but the guys on the other side of them (north side)
or there is auto marine electric as well, steveston marine definately has switches but you may have to modify that wood trim, I would try and find the same ones and save hacking up the plate JMO

actually looking at them again, they are exactly the same rockers that my Explorer uses too,
and they should be available thru the Campion dealer in Rmd

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's a long way from you, but I use Southern Interior Truck Electric in Penticton, they have parts and expertise for boats too, prices reasonable as they go via wholesaler. Maybe a similar business in your area has the same kind of sideline with marine, sure are lots of boats in your area. Somewhat higher parts prices can be balanced off against them knowing the correct parts to get the job done right the first time.

That original Grady panel is nicely dressed - we want to see pics of your own work that will make them proud!

Yoinks! that's a lot of switches.I can see why you need to find a good price. When you replace the switches, give a squirt of dielectric grease into the female connectors, it will help prevent future corrosion.

Thanks everyone for all the info. Thanks hootchiebob I did get some dielectric grease. The job is done now thanks to an electrician buddy who did the wiring for me.
I decided to use Blue Sea Systems Contura switches which fit well in the Grady panel and replaced the original McGill switches that Grady used. Used a combination of Single and Double Pole and Single and Double Throw so the prices varied per switch at around $10-11 for most of them but up to $15 plus a ton of Ancor connectors.

Here's a photo showing one Blue Sea Contura installed in the panel comparing the older McGills next to it

photo.jpg

Here is one of the Blue Sea switches on the website:

http://www.bluesea.com/products/8284/Contura_Switch_SPST_Black_-_[ON]-OFF-ON

I just replaced all of mine with Blue Sea switches. Anyone know where to get labels similar to what Peahead has behind his switches in that picture?

Dan, give blue sea a call directly. Chances are you local supplier will have 2-6 week lead time on new or custom labels. Call Blue Sea direct (they are located in Bellingham) and they will have what you need en route that day (with a 2-3 day delivery). How do I know? Cuz for some reason in there standard 8 switch metal panel which I just installed, they have stickers for nearly every light in the book, but no sticker for bilge 2 or wipers. A quick call and they were on the way.

They do custom ones as well.

Here is the link to there Label ordering section of the site. Or like I said, call direct they were happy to help!

http://www.bluesea.com/products/category/Labels

contact info:

Address: 425 Sequoia Dr, Bellingham, WA 98226, United States
Phone:+1 360-738-8230

Cheers

Back