Pancake rigger weights

Degree of Freedom

I went out and purchased a couple of the flat weights with steel fins on Friday. Figured they'd be great...decrease drag and save the wire by not spinning. I've never had the wires on my riggers tangle with each other. Happened 3 times on Saturday for a total cost of 2 clips, 1 flasher, and 1 spoon. I figured they must not be tracking straight and somehow crossing each other.
Has this happened to anyone else? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
Dan

You can try bending the fins slightly so they track out from the side of the boat then mark each one Port or Starboard.

Never liked those units myself they can sheer into each other when tides/currents are right (or wrong).

Yup check you're fins,,, they must be turned in to each other... Run the bend out or straight....

i have had that as well. The currents play havoc with them i say stick to the round balls with the small fin to limit spinning.

I think you'll come to like them when you get them tuned.I love mine but I am always trolling fairly shallow 100ft and up.

I fish in a small boat and find the pancakes with the fins work great if the fin is bent properly. Not to much bend or it cuts back sometimes. I once put then on the wrong side and instantly crossed lines. I can tell by the donwrigger line that they do track apart a little.

It is one of the dirty tricks to play on fellow fisherman as well switch them at the boat or bend them there is a lot of dirty tricks that fellow guides have done to me and I to them,just ask Kevin in the browns bay derby LOL LOL

Wolf

Back